Menchov

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2011 in Pro race
Says he doesn't want to be promoted to 2nd place in the 2010 TdF when Bert is stripped of the title.

Annoying Andy has said he doesn't want to be the winner.

How far down would you need to go before someone would be happy to move up a spot?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• The boy who came in 23rd will :wink:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Funny how when a win was available, in the shape of the 2005 Vuelta following Heras' positive test, Menchov was happy to move up a place then.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    iainf72 wrote:
    How far down would you need to go before someone would be happy to move up a spot?

As far as it takes to find a rider with a clean conscience maybe?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    It's not like me to give riders the benefit of the doubt, but could there be a bit of 'there but for the grace of God' regarding Contador?

I'm not thinking so much about the blood doping, but the horror and fear of accidentally eating tainted meat. I suspected that that resulted in the silence following the original announcement (cf the hullabaluh surrounding Ricco).

Can anyone remember if there was such reticence in 2006?
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    It might not be because of them wanting to support Contador. Might be more of "I didnt win on the day" I want the title when I do when on the day"

I do think it might be better to just leave the slots empty when people get busted. You win the tour get busted then for that year. No winner is proclaimed. Would perhaps add to even less incentive to drug yourself up. As even if you dope dont get caught but come 2nd to someone who does get caught. You still aint going to get anything.

Of course the downside being that is 2nd is clean they dont win. But I do beleive history should point to no winner. Especially given the history of the sport.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    _41884032_aa.jpg
    McMenchov gets the better of Levi Leipheimer and Floyd Landis. Even Leipheimer's boss suspected him of dabbling with the ol' hot sauce* and Floyd Landis doesn't need an introduction.

* http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/8/4/1605 ... er-accuses
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    I'll take the win.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    andyp wrote:
    Funny how when a win was available, in the shape of the 2005 Vuelta following Heras' positive test, Menchov was happy to move up a place then.

I'm pretty sure Dennis got awarded the Gold Jersey at the opening ceremony in 2006. I recall him looking very un-comfortable with the whole situation.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Anytime I've seen Menchov appearing in public without a bike he looks uncomfortable with the whole situation. :wink:
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    andyp wrote:
    Anytime I've seen Menchov appearing in public without a bike he looks uncomfortable with the whole situation. :wink:

To be fair even with a bike he often looks ucomfortable - lying on the ground nursing his bumps and bruises :twisted:
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • 6929602e934160352bc2e205b3e71fe3-ge.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • untitled-4.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    He's the only rider I've seen come off going uphill having not hit anything.
  • He slipped on a patch.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    He slipped on a patch.

Is that patch following him around hi whole career? Stalker.

Strava is not Zen.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yeah, got that tour on dvd. It had just started to rain lightly. You can see from the camera in front of him how the rain hasn't really wetted the brand-spanking-new surface yet. Very slippy. Still amusing though
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Tusher wrote:
    It's not like me to give riders the benefit of the doubt, but could there be a bit of 'there but for the grace of God' regarding Contador?

I'm not thinking so much about the blood doping, but the horror and fear of accidentally eating tainted meat. I suspected that that resulted in the silence following the original announcement (cf the hullabaluh surrounding Ricco).

Can anyone remember if there was such reticence in 2006?

like this
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Does one of the more statistical amongst know whether Menchov really falls off substantially more than others, or has he just got that reputation from a couple of iffy looking falls. I know he often looks wobbly on descents, but then people now focus on that because of his reputation.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    dougzz wrote:
    Does one of the more statistical amongst know whether Menchov really falls off substantially more than others, or has he just got that reputation from a couple of iffy looking falls. I know he often looks wobbly on descents, but then people now focus on that because of his reputation.

Riders often gain this reputation for falling off or for being a good descender based on a couple of incidents or for the comments of certain commentators (P & P for the most part).

The best example of this was in the Giro last year, Harmon was waxing lyrical about how good Cadel Evans could go downhill because of his mountain bike background, cue a few minutes later Evans ran out of road and nearly stacked it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)