I am the puncture fairy

roundthebend
roundthebend Posts: 205
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Had only 1 puncture in about 8 months until this last fornight, now I've lost count.
However, this evening I took things to a new level. Having fixed two punctures side by side, I thoroughly inspected the tyre and couldn't find any sharp objects. So I went ahead and started putting the tube back in the tyre only to hear a hiss. Yep, I managed to pinch the tube with the tyre lever :evil:

So, I'm beginning to wonder if it's been me that's caused this recent spate.

Has anyone else ever done this? I need some tips:

What tyres can I get that aren't so friggin' hard to get back on that I need to use levers? I managed in the end tonight, but that's in the warmth of my dining room. Recently I've been out in almost zero degrees trying to squeeze a tyre back on.

Are these Vittoria puncture resistant tyres any good?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randon ... city-tyre/
I had some Maxxis ones before that worked very well and didn't feel any different to other tyres. I've heard that those slime tyres can feel weird to ride with.

What levers should I get? The metal ones I have were very cheap and are a bit jagged. I need metal ones with these frickin' stiff tyres.

And finally, some puncture repair questions:
Patches tend to be black with a red surround. They're attached to foil and have a thin plastic film on them too. Which side goes against the tube, and which side faces the inner tyre?

Also, one of my repair kits has patches that don't seem to stick. Which brand are good value and reliable?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... goryIDs=87

Choose from any of those - ones are with levers, others are without and some are "extra thin" - meant to be better for road.

The smooth side is meant to go over the innertube - the red side in your case and the orange side with the Rema patches.

Maybe get Halo Twin Rail tires - or even the Berlin edition. They are meant to be quite good for puncture protection.
  • Ta, puncture kits look good.
    My current tyres are 700 x 28c. I think 28c is right for my route to work so the Halos are probably to skinny.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    You can get the Berlin edition in 29mm FIY. :D
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    However, this evening I took things to a new level. Having fixed two punctures side by side, I thoroughly inspected the tyre and couldn't find any sharp objects

Classic signs of a snakebite or pinch flat.
    Tyre pressure too low, hit a pothole, innertube squashed between the tyre and the wheel rim, two long thin slits in your innertube (that look like a snake has bitten it, hence the name).

The moral of the story: Inflate to at least the minimum recommended pressure.
    Check your pressures at least weekly. Keep them hard unless you are offroading, in which case, maybe try tubeless...

I'm thinking of trying ghetto tubeless on my commuter (26"). I've even gone as far as buying the tyre sealant.
    Right, thats next week's mission. Ghetto tubeless my commuter. Thanks OP for making my mind up.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Got 3 punctures 1 mile from home :(
    Was riding with a roadie friend, he was alongside so I'm running the gutter and there's this puddle - whack! Rear went down instantly, front lasted all of 100m. Handlebar's slipped down and my rear light bracket slipped from the force of dropping 2" then meeting the lip of the pothole. Ignominius end to pleasant Sunday run, cycling home along my hight street with two flat tyres.
    Tyres were Halo Twin Rails (24), tubes went in bin :cry:
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    This may seem a little OTT, but I match the graphics (the Continental branding) on my tire to the valve on the rim. When I do get a puncture, and find the area on the tube with the hole, it allows me to narrow down my search for sharp objects in the tire because you know where they are relative to each other.
  • Soul Boy wrote:
    This may seem a little OTT, but I match the graphics (the Continental branding) on my tire to the valve on the rim. When I do get a puncture, and find the area on the tube with the hole, it allows me to narrow down my search for sharp objects in the tire because you know where they are relative to each other.

That's a good tip. I do something similar - when I remove a tube to search for a puncture I try to keep the tube and tyre "in sync" so that I can more easily locate the cause of the puncture. I'll do what you suggest in future though.

Update from last night's repair effort - I made it to work with a solid front tyre.
  • +1 for tyre branding/valve matching
    Helps to find your valve when you're tired/hurried (i.e. racing)
    Also shows when your mate's borrowed your bike and punctured then fixed it, cos the tyre's moved...
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Soul Boy wrote:

Not OTT at all. Practical & indeed compulsory when taking photos of the bike to score extra bling points 8)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    You shouldn't need levers to fit any tyre. You can even fit Marathons Plus with just your hands.

See this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    best tyre levers Ive used bar none are Pedros, absolutley superb
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    So roundthebend, it was you who pushed the shard of glass into my rear tyre this morning?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Not me, I'm just a trainee who is only allowed to attack my own bike. And I use tyre levers.
  • The saga continues.
    I've had numerous punctures in my front tyre since my last post. Most of them slow but last nights went flat whilst I was riding in about 10 seconds.

So, new tyres are on the cards. I need your recommendations.....

700 x 28c
    I don't race but I like to ride swiftly.
    My commute is mostly on tarmac, though I do go through a wooded area which has a dirt path covered in twigs and stones.
    I commute in all weathers.

The Vittoria Randonneurs from Wiggle look good value. What else should I consider? Is it worth spending a lot more for decent puncture protection, or is the extra money going to be on better tread patterns which I won't get benefit from?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i had Marathon Pluses on my hardtail that i use to commute on, yesterday i bought the same for my Tricross (700 x 28) they seem pretty quick an are renowed for being virtually bomb proof

i got mine for 42 for the pair off ebay bobby dazzler
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    The saga continues.
    I've had numerous punctures in my front tyre since my last post. Most of them slow but last nights went flat whilst I was riding in about 10 seconds.

So, new tyres are on the cards. I need your recommendations.....

700 x 28c
    I don't race but I like to ride swiftly.
    My commute is mostly on tarmac, though I do go through a wooded area which has a dirt path covered in twigs and stones.
    I commute in all weathers.

The Vittoria Randonneurs from Wiggle look good value. What else should I consider? Is it worth spending a lot more for decent puncture protection, or is the extra money going to be on better tread patterns which I won't get benefit from?

I've just (well a month ago) swaped 700x28c Armadillos for 700x25c Conti Gator Skins on my Hybrid. Speed has increased somewhat, grip seems fine, although it felt a bit lively the first time out. I did have a vist from puncture fairly, pointy stone got stuck in tyre then push through as I road, still only a slow puncture and I don't think the Armadillos would of stopped it either, a marathon plus maybe.

I was / am able to fit tyre by hand using this technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4 video also has a top tip for avoiding pinch flats simply by checking all round tyre before inflating. I do have to use tyre levers to get them off though.

No noticable difference in comfort either. Unless you hit a pot hole and I try not to.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Thanks chaps.

That video has helped me to get my tyres on without levers and I'm extra careful not to pinch the tube while refitting the tyre. I think my tubes are a slightly bad fit but the front one is going to get replaced now it has patches all over.

I'll check prices on the Marathon Plus. If it's a few quid extra but gives peace of mind, then it's probably worth it.

Anyone got any views on how they feel on the road compared to Gator Skins or Armadillos?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Got a puncture last night - about a mile from home. Managed to pinch one of my spare tubes too - lucky I carry 2 spares!

Glass on the cyclepath from a beer bottle....
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Parktool levers are awesome - and cheap. Try using washing up liquid on stubborn tyres