British National Anthem

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
Not sure what God or the the Queen have to do with being British, but isn't it just the dreary, dull anthem? Any better ideas anyone?

Comments

• Jerusalem for an English team, after all welsh and scots have thier own.

and then national anthem for British team
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    God Save the Queen is a pointless bollox song. Why ask a Christian god (camel through the eye of a needle, etc.) to save one of the world's wealthiest women? If she wanted saving - and she's getting on a bit so she should do this pronto - she'd give away her vast fortune and live the sort of life Jesus demanded.

Same goes for Jerusalem - what's the point of singing that song in our money-obsessed society? If people started living by the bible, then Jerusalem could become our anthem.

I'm an atheist BTW, so I think the Queen is worm food just like the rest of it when she dies and I don't want Jerusalem as our anthem.
  • I think Billy Connolly got it spot on a few years back....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ

:lol:
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    In better times I would have wanted 'Land of Hope and Glory' for the English anthem, but now the title seems to be somewhat inappropriate.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Nothing wrong with God Save the Queen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJmouowPH5k

Otherwise, how about Beasts of England?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXQN7Hv9e_0
  • markos1963 wrote:
    I think Billy Connolly got it spot on a few years back....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ

+1 (beat me to it!) :D

Fantastic, I'm with Mr. Connolly on this, awesome suggestion!
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    In better times I would have wanted 'Land of Hope and Glory' for the English anthem, but now the title seems to be somewhat inappropriate.

land of dopes and tories would be more apt
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    johnfinch wrote:
    God Save the Queen is a pointless bollox song. Why ask a Christian god (camel through the eye of a needle, etc.) to save one of the world's wealthiest women? If she wanted saving - and she's getting on a bit so she should do this pronto - she'd give away her vast fortune and live the sort of life Jesus demanded.

Same goes for Jerusalem - what's the point of singing that song in our money-obsessed society? If people started living by the bible, then Jerusalem could become our anthem.

I'm an atheist BTW, so I think the Queen is worm food just like the rest of it when she dies and I don't want Jerusalem as our anthem.
    +1 for the above, personally i like the itallian anthem tune (nice and jolly), tho' don't agree with the lyrics at all.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Monty Python - 'Always Look on the Bight Side of Life'
  • How can I be so stupid, it HAS to be this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_sJmIQrH54

Would love to see Sir Chris performing some of the dance moves on the podium after winning gold again at the next Olympics!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    +1 for the above, personally i like the itallian anthem tune (nice and jolly), tho' don't agree with the lyrics at all.

No idea what the lyrics mean, but I do like the Italian anthem. The only thing about Schumacher winning for Ferrari so much was hearinging the anthem.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Just Youtubed the Italian anthem. Can't see much wrong with the lyrics (in the translation I had). I prefer them to bigging up the queen with a dirge.

Because of this thread I've also had a look (and listen) to the French national anthem, and like I thought, it is all about the citizens rising up and sticking it to 'the man'. Perfectly explains why the French had a revolution and go on strike about having one less frog's leg in their (state subsidised) lunch, whereas us Brits roll over and allow 'the man' to stick it to us (with no lube).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I like the tune from the Liechtenstein national anthem.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Just Youtubed the Italian anthem. Can't see much wrong with the lyrics (in the translation I had). I prefer them to bigging up the queen with a dirge.

Because of this thread I've also had a look (and listen) to the French national anthem, and like I thought, it is all about the citizens rising up and sticking it to 'the man'. Perfectly explains why the French had a revolution and go on strike about having one less frog's leg in their (state subsidised) lunch, whereas us Brits roll over and allow 'the man' to stick it to us (with no lube).
    oh yes i prefer just about any lyrics to our 'dirge', tho the italian lyrics go on about 'god' making italy, being united under 'god' and lots of talk of blood and dying for the 'cause', nice tune.. shame about the lyrics
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • [
    land of dopes and tories would be more apt
    Yep, that covers the Labour, Lib-Dem and Conservative voters.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Have to agree, our national anthem is pretty dirgy and miserable.
    Need something more uplifting/rousing/fun.

I propose "Itsy bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka-dot Bikini" ...
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Given the OP's user name, I would think verse 6 would be particularly interesting :

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    And like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the King!

Not sure how long this verse was actually used, but not the most inclusive wording for a British anthem !!
  • Allez Mark wrote:
    I like the tune from the Liechtenstein national anthem.

• Mccaria wrote:
    Given the OP's user name, I would think verse 6 would be particularly interesting :

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    And like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the King!

Not sure how long this verse was actually used, but not the most inclusive wording for a British anthem !!

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not really Scottish. Or Greasy for that matter...

:D
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Cunning,cunning disguise !