The Best of the Cycling Press

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
What subscription should I take? Sorry this crosses over to the dark side as well....

Comments

• Other... some are similar to each other and they also cater to different types of cyclist so how can you say which is best? I'm a roadie and have never read the MTB ones or even seen the Singletrack one.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    I find cycling weekly to be the most infomative, topical (as it's published weekly rather than monthly) and has generally good bike and kit reviews.

However, many mags as garrynolan says can be quite 'samey' week after week/ month after month. I was bought many of the cycling mags to read whilst on long term sick recently and did find this so even across the various cycling disciplines.

After nearly a year and half of Cycling weekly, I have decided to knock my sub on the head come next renewal, and spend the cash on something else.

You could say the web is now just as a reliable source of cycling reading literature, and obviously can be more timely with news.

You pays your money.....
  • RideOnTime
    pretty conclusive - you can also get Cycling weekly as a digital full copy subscription now too
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I think Cycling Weekly managed to plumb its lowest depths with an article on how to manage your home life around time on the bike. Page filling drivel.
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    There is only so much you can write about cycling so mags are stuffed full of glossy pics and adverts. So much of the content doesn't interest me and much of the stuff that I would read doesn't appeal to others. I get bored easily and so I only buy about 3 cycling mags a year. Far easier (and cheaper) to read stuff on the internet.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • Not having both Procycling and Cycle Sport magazines in your poll is a glaring omission.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I used to buy Cycling Plus for a while but as has been said already it all gets a bit "samey" after a while

Cycling weekly is good but as pointed out above there is also some drivel in there too. I usually have a quick look to see if there's anything that interests me before I buy anything, cycling weekly had a full 2011 sportive calender this week which is handy to keep hold of.

But really, how many £1000 bike tests can you read :?
  • I like Procycling, I find I really enjoy reading it as opposed to saying "Arh, f**k not another £1000 bike test!...."

Procycling gets indepth articles with super photos.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Not having both Procycling and Cycle Sport magazines in your poll is a glaring omission.
    + absolutely, cycling active pah!
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Ahhh but one mans page filling drivel is another mans editorial variety and differing content... I found the article on life with a partner and being 'allowed' to ride your bike interesting.... After listening to the radio today where 'going fishing' was used as a reason for a divorce petition (unreasonable behaviour!) makes you think....