What to do???

shx8000
shx8000 Posts: 222
edited February 2011 in MTB general
What is acceptable when catching up with slower riders.

I generally just hold back several bike lengths and wait for them to pullover. Then thank them and carry on. Thing is, sometimes people take ages to pullover, or don't pull over at all, which kind of ruins the run.
If someone comes up behind me I pullover and let them pass.
Is there an acceptable method of asking people to let you pass, without sounding like an arrogant tosser? I ride up Cannock mostly, where in most places the trail isn't wide enough for 2 bikes to pass.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When starting off down a run, following immediately after the guy in front has gone and then being right on his back all the time brakes squealing and swearing at the guy in front because he's not pulling over (no space to do so) or going fast enough and has spoiled your jumps so you can't show off in front of your mates.

That's not acceptable.

Swinley last week.
  • shx8000
    Fortunately, that's never happened to me. I know a lady that rides with us has had it happen though. But one of the guys had a word with the foul mouthed arse. No need for that kind of behaviour.
  • I am regularly passed by faster riders, if I hear them behind me, I'll find an appropriate place to pull over/slow down and let them past.
    Every now and then I do come across slower riders, I can usually gauge whether they're experienced in the unwritten laws of the trail, if so, they'll hear my bike, breathing and know I'm on their tail and they'll let me past, if not, I'll then ask politely. I usually say "ding! ding!" like a bicycle bell and that tends to work. I also thank those who let me by

Sometimes I come across "family units" on BSOs and herein lies the problem. If you spook them by sitting on their back wheels they tend to stop anywhere to let you past. and you may end up colliding with them.
    This has also happened to me at Swinley and at Cannock Chase where I crashed badly with a BSO rider who decided to stop dead on a narrow trail to "let me by"
    Young kids are the worst, they tend to turn their heads to see you and their arms turn the bars in sympathy..
    I always say "stay where you are, I'll get past" to prevent mayhem

Most (not all) trails have sufficient areas for faster riders to pass, if you know the trail, use this to your advantage, once a slower rider sees your going to pass him/her, they will eventually back off and you'll have the speed to pass with no issue
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If I can let a faster rider past, I will but I am not going to stop in the middle of a section. There aren't many slower, so I don't normally have overtaking problems, but when meeting a family on BSO's it is polite to use the old Blues Brothers line 'How much for your daughter?'
    They normally give you a wide berth after that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I know a bell on a rugged mountain bike's not very macho and all that but they are pretty effective when it comes to passing. The clear high pitched ding can be heard from a distance and clearly shows yer intentions. And of course say thanks as you pass. Works for me...
    Lets Ride!!
    Merida 96 26er
    Stumpjumper FSR 26er
  • android125 wrote:
    I know a bell on a rugged mountain bike's not very macho and all that but they are pretty effective when it comes to passing. The clear high pitched ding can be heard from a distance and clearly shows yer intentions. And of course say thanks as you pass. Works for me...
    If you want macho you need one of these :twisted:
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited February 2011
    Bell is not always heard above the noise of the trail and Hope hubs.

And then you get the walkers who deliberately ignore bells or leap 50 feet into the air when you ring a bell from a mile away and then give you a dirty look as you ride past and say thank you.

I think some walkers are more arrogant and obnoxious than cyclists. MTBers are generally a friendly bunch I find, even if there are a few jerks.
  • Yes...I think that would work too :D
    Lets Ride!!
    Merida 96 26er
    Stumpjumper FSR 26er
  • shx8000
    Haha, I'm liking that. Think I'm going to see if my spare wheel set back wheel will fit. It has a hope hub fitted. Remedy has a strange bolt through rear hub, but it might fit. Then I'll be heard from miles away.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Generally I just scream like I have no idea what i'm doing and about to crash, people move out the way then.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    I'm waiting for the day 3 lanes are built into trail centre tracks so i can hog the middle lane at 5 mph like some blissfully ignorant old duffer listing to Terry Wogan on the radio whilst causing total mayhem behind.
    :D
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited February 2011
    If someone rides up behind you and starts swearing/intimidating you just stop.Get off the bike bike,walk up to them and knock the FCUK out of them....they will learn 8)
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I try to make a bit of noise when a reasonable distance behind, freewheel with hope hubs, change gear, lock a wheel quickly on gravel, and if that doesn't work a shout of 'rider'.

If they don't let me by then I'll try and find somewhere to pass. Cutting off the trail and missing a corner can be pretty effective at shooting you out in front of them.

When I do pass I will be very careful about who it is, if it's someone who looks like they're out of their depth and are panicing I'll stop at the side of the track and give them room to get away a bit.

Most annoying ones for me are the ones who speed up and try to keep you behind. If someone's just cruised up behind very quickly I doubt they can keep them behind by taking stupid risks. Had to laugh when this happened to me and the guy saw a drop, slammed on his brakes, over the handlebars (on to his feet) and I passed on a completely different line. Shouldn't have laughed but couldn't help it! Had a word with the guy that looked in charge of the ride as it was pretty lucky the lad never hurt himself.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike