Rack for a Genesis Core ?

redjeepǃ
redjeepǃ Posts: 531
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
I'm planning to use my 2009 Genesis Core 30 for commuting and want to fit a rack but it doesn't have any threaded eyes. I know that I can use P clips and the like, but wondered if anybody has any experience fitting a rack to this bike. There are some small holes in the fillet near the rear dropout and wonder if these could be used.

It's only to carry a smallish pannier, not for full out touring and won't be overloaded.

Comments

• You may have more luck posting this in the commuting section... but...
    Are the holes at the drop outs threaded? if so, use them.
    Either way, if it doesn't foul anything, and there's symmetrical holes on either side of the frame, i'd try and get a bolt in there. either nut and bolt all the way through, or tap the holes to create a thread.
    you'll probably need a disk brake compatable rack, so that it has little legs to make it stand out over the caliper.
    i've tried the pclips idea, and didn't get on with it, so attach the top straps to a seatpost collar with a seperate fixing for the pannier straps.
    hope this is food for thought.
  • I dunno what a Genesis Core is - aluminium or steel - but if it is steel a framebuilder will be able to braze on fixing points for your rack. Some paintwork will get damaged in the process though, but maybe not as much as you would think.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Madison disc specific rack (Allterrain are cheapest I found) I've found very good, its lightweight tubular alloy. Best bet is if the holes by drpouts are good get them tapped and fit it there, you could get a seatpost clamp with mounting holes.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.