Garmin Edge 705 failure

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I was hoping that I wouldn't fall victim to the edge "brick" issue but sure enough after todays 3hr 20min ride I plugged the USB cable in and my computer (mac) came up with unrecognised disk error :?

turned off/on (I work in IT) several times, swapped cables, tried 5 computers of different flavours, soft resets x many many and eventually a hard reset and still nothing :evil:

I've only used it a dozen or so times since I bought it in Dec, not very impressed to say the least.

I guess it's back to Garmin, if they send me a refurbished in return I will be pissed off :evil:
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Unlucky. Deffo complain if you don't get a new one - it's only a few months old.
  • itboffin
    Oh I will, I've read that forcing the device into disk mode then reformatting the internal flash can fix it but surely that would erase whatever OS and basemap img plus all the settings making it a true brick or is there some kind of safe partition with those files?

anyone know ...?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Found this, should I dare? if it fails will I duff my warranty?
    You could try a "Soft Reset", 705 manual page 2, then plug into your computer.

Then a "Hard Reset" if the soft did not work. See link below.
    http://www.gps4sport.com/gps-softwar...05-hard-reset/

If that does not work here is the format procedure.
    Use the following settings:
    a. File System: FAT32
    b.Volume label: GARMIN
    Note: Use the default settings for any other parameters and do not use
    the "Quick Format" option for this format.
    c. Create a new folder named "Garmin" in the newly formatted drive.
    d. Create 4 new folders inside the Garmin folder. Courses, GPX, History, Profile.
    e. Create a new folder named "current" inside the GPX folder.
    f. Create a new folder named "Laps" inside the History folder.
    g. Remove from the computer and turn off the 705.
    h. Download and install the current version of WebUpdater from the following link:
    http://www8.garmin.com/products/webu...wtoinstall.jsp
    i. Connect the 705 and run WebUpdater. If it will not update unplug and use the next step.
    j. Before connecting your device to the computer, with the power off, press 'up' on the joystick. Plug the usb cable in and follow the instructions from WebUpdater to update the Edge's software. Be sure to keep pressing 'up' on the joystick for this entire process or it will fail. This procedure is called 'bootblock' and prevents the unit from booting up, but allows the computer to communicate with it for updates. It takes 15-20 minutes, do not give up.
    k. When finished unconnect and turn off the 705. Do not turn it on yet.
    l. Go outside and turn on with "Hard Reset" and leave the 705 alone for the 30 minutes to get a new almanac.
    m. You will need to call Garmin support to get a new file for the basemap (gmapbmap.img) sent to you via a remote session. It is too large to e-mail. The number is 1-800-800-1020 for Garmin support selecting either the Fitness or Outdoor option. Ask to be immediately transferred to Software Support. Other people that you talk to first will try to help you but cannot. Plan to spend at least an hour on hold. The file "gmapbmap.img" must be stored inside the Garmin folder.

If you have other maps you do not have to have the Garmin basemap. Just load the maps you have and try that sucker out.

If I screwed up these instructions I hope someone chimes in and corrects me. I am always ready to learn something new.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Also being capable of spelling "IT", I would say that's a plausible way of making it work... but would I spend my free time doing it when there's a "send the bastard article back" option available? Would I f#ck.

Send it back, get them to fix it. The more money poorly tested firmware costs them, the more likely they are to try actually getting it right. In theory.

Life's too short to dick about with craptacular technology for "fun".
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • itboffin
    Well I tried and it didnt work, so it's going back :evil:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Can take 2-3 weeks for the warranty to get sorted, from sending back to being back on the bike.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    it might even have stopped raining by then ....
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Say what you like about Wiggle but I got a new replacement within the week.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited February 2011
    itboffin wrote:
    Well I tried and it didnt work, so it's going back :evil:
    That sux. Just out of interest what was the firmware version? I've tended to not update Garmin firmware very often, it tends to be very bleeding edge...

Edit: my 705 is still on firmware 3.1 and it's *looks around for a big bit of wood* been fine.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin

I upgraded it from 3.2 when it arrived, no problems since. well apart from this that is.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    When i sent mine to Garmin, a new one was delivered in 2 days.

That reminds me i've got to do that again. Charges OK, but computer can't see it.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • itboffin
    Update

I called Garmin today who asked me to try the usual, different cable / computer / reset / reformat etc which when I explained what i'd done they said okay return it to use for a refurbished replacement, I queried that as refurbished isnt new like mine.

Anyway not being the sort of person who gives up I copied the files from a friends 705 onto mine did another hard reset, then reinstalled 3.3 update from webupdater now I have a Garmin that the computer does recognise but only when I force it into disk mode.

Should I still send it back as it clearly doesn't do what it's mean to?
    or just live with pressing the power button twice everytime I wan't to force sync mode?

If it's already had this error does it mean its likely to have further issues ie poor build quality?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Take / send it back to retailer demanding a full refund or new replacement unit. Your 'contract of sale' is with them not Garming. As goods are clearly faulty and not fit for purpose they have to sort this if they say you have to deal with Garmin they are wrong, they should deal with Garmin on your behalf. You are entitled to a full refund don't be scared to ask for it or quote sale of goods act at them.

If retailer doesn't play ball and you paid by credit card consider taking it up with credit card company as you have not received goods as described, there maybe a time limit to this but as only brought in December I think you'll be ok.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • itboffin
    Handtec did say I could send it to them and they will return to garmin for repair, surely that'll just take longer.

Anyway I used it this morning on my commute and the bloody thing kept losing it's elevation data, I thought that elevation function came from te built in barometer thingy?
  • itboffin wrote:
    Handtec did say I could send it to them and they will return to garmin for repair, surely that'll just take longer.

Anyway I used it this morning on my commute and the bloody thing kept losing it's elevation data, I thought that elevation function came from te built in barometer thingy?
    If it is relatively new, I would insist on a replacement from Handtec. In effect, you are returning faulty goods (for a refund) and purchasing a new item. I would only put up with them @rsing me about if their price was much lower than others and I couldn't afford to walk away elsewhere.
  • itboffin
    So the two recorded rides today dont show up in the history folders, piece of junk, no better that a £10 aldi comp now.

:evil:
  • sketchley
    I'd seriously consider contacting handtec and telling them you want a brand new replacement or a full refund plus any postage cost for return as goods are clearly faulty. You are legally entitled to this under sale of goods act from the retailer. If they don't play ball small claims court.

I get really p*ssed off at retailers, including big high street names like comet, pointing the customer at the manufacturer and absolving themselves of responsibility for the problem. The sale of goods act is clear the responsibility lies with the person you paid the money to.
    --
    Chris

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Sketchley wrote:
    I'd seriously consider contacting handtec and telling them you want a brand new replacement or a full refund plus any postage cost for return as goods are clearly faulty. You are legally entitled to this under sale of goods act from the retailer. If they don't play ball small claims court.

I get really p*ssed off at retailers, including big high street names like comet, pointing the customer at the manufacturer and absolving themselves of responsibility for the problem. The sale of goods act is clear the responsibility lies with the person you paid the money to.

+1
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    Sketchley wrote:

+1 indeed. If ever a retailer points you at the manufacturer, simply politely remind them that you bought the item of them, not the manufacturer and the Sales of Goods act defines the relationship between the retailer and the customer and the obligation of the retailer to ensure goods are of a merchantable quality.

Key Facts:
    • Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.
  • sketchley
    @ITB - Any update?
    --
    Chris

• itboffin
    Shipped back to garmin yesterday ;(
  • itboffin
    Refub replacement arrived today and so far seems to be working.