mix and match centre lock and 6 bolt?

lvquestpaddler
lvquestpaddler Posts: 416
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Spotted some wheels on Merlin that fit the bill which have centrelock and an adapter for 6 bolt. Currently have 2 sets of wheels with 6 bolt but also considering getting their 595 Deore brakes which offer rotors either choice.
If I took centrelock rotors and put them on the DT wheels would the other wheels with 6 bolt still slot in place if needed(ie a set will get road tyres the oldest go on a winter trainer hack), or are the alignments of the discs totally different? Would they mount differently either post or IS?
Heard there are issues getting the 6 bolt adapters to go on the DT wheels (x1800's).
So in a nutshell are they interchangeable? :?

Comments

• Oh- forgot to add the new brakes rotors would be 160mm too, will the old(5-7yr) ones from a deore 525setup work with the newer 595's? Both 160 too?
  • I'd have thought a 160 rotor would be the same regardless of fitting mechanism used. The only thing you might need to do is re-adjust the calliper laterally.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • That being the critical thing I need to know- doing a charity event with a wheel change so don't want to be fiddling with the caliper. Probably best just to go for 6bolt rotors then? keep it simple....
  • Thought I'd update this as I did indeed get the DT wheels with Ashima adapters to take the 6 bolt rotors.
    They're not interchangeable really, the rotors on the DT wheels sit a fraction too far to the centre and even trying to muck with the caliper to fine tune it is proving futile.
    Will leave the DT's on the new steel rigid and use the oldest wheels for the event (Corrieyairack) off road part and then if they get trashed on the downhill I won't be so bothered!!!
    The problem is worse on the old 525s and doesn't seem to be such an issue on the 595's.
    Might go and have a tinker with the adapter as it's splined. Maybe if I loosen it and move it out a mm it may do the trick....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't bother trying. Different hubs have different spacings.
    Such is the marvelous world of "standards" in MTBing.
    If everything was made to decent design tolerances, then everything should just fit. But they aren't, so they don't.
  • You're correct there. Forgot the wheel has a plastic centre that holds the adapter on so that idea I had too move it on the splines is a non starter(it locks with a cassette locking tool)...d'oh.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    even getting identical wheel set you will find you may need to shim a set to match the others disc position.

with some setting up prior to the event it should not be a problem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown