About to ride fixed for the first time.

2»

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    running 175 cranks here. have clipped the ground once...... yes leaning has to be reduced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    As Will Smith said in "Summertime":

Leaning to the side
    But you can't speed through.
    2 miles an hour
    So everybody sees you.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • nicklouse
    and 2mph is what i do on this.

img0202fp.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • EKE_38BPM
    nicklouse wrote:
    and 2mph is what i do on this.

img0202fp.jpg
    Is there a 'wrong way round' for front brake discs?
    I like that bike. Cool without trying to be. Us cool kids know that once you try to be cool, you instantly fail.

Well, not trying too hard.

• nicklouse
    I wanted it out of the way for the stays for the guards. still need to fit the bottle opener.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Do whatever works.
    What is that sticking out of the top of your forks and where is the brake cable?

• nicklouse
    what brake cable :wink: that is going to hold the bottle opener. (or be part of the bottle opener).
    I also had to have a big hole there to get the shimano braided hose from the steerer to the fork leg. Yes i could have used other hose but that would have meant using good stuff rather than old stuff.
  • hatbeard wrote:
    I've only been riding fixed since last monday so not got given trackstanding a go yet. my light timings improved somewhat though so a lot of the time I don't need to (much to the dismay of the nodders desperate to pass me into the asl as I slowly roll up to the red lights ahead of us :lol: )

It does alter the way you ride doesn't it.

I find I'm much more aware of whats going on around me, predicting (or trying to) when the lights are going to change & just backing off rather than racing up to them & leaning on the brakes.

Preservation of momentum rules.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Rode in on the tricross this morning (my rack is currently fitted to that and I had to carry my spare wheelset into the office as I'm selling them) and my legs felt like they'd stopped working the first time I coasted up to traffic, my legs kind of willed themselves round still but without the pedals pushing them it was a really jerky and unfluid action. it felt really unnatural. I've been rewired in a week :shock:
    Hat + Beard