Drop-offs on a hardtail - How high?

Miggins
Miggins Posts: 433
edited February 2011 in MTB general
It says in the manual of my Trek 6300 (from memory) that drops of up to two feet are ok. I've not really done more than this but I imagine they're being on the cautious side. I don't want to risk breakages but could I get away with more? For the sake of argument, let's assume I'm rolling fairly slowly from a horizontal drop-off and landing rear wheel first.
After uphill there's downhill

Comments

• As with most things a manual says, their on the cautious side, and just covering their arse in the event something does happen.
  • general trail drop should be fine...its rare see many trails with drop higher than 2ft unless it is a black option.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you're asking about all hardtails, then the sky's the limit. Trials riders regularly do enormous drops to flat on hardtails or rigids.
    I wouldn't do anything mental on a Trek 6300 though, but yeah, your average trail drops are fine.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    How long is a piece of string = 2x (were x is the distance from the middle to the end) :wink:

By that I mean it depends on the frame and the rider I know that my I've done some stuff on my STP where a friend bent a steel BMX frame aand I weigh over two stone more than him :o
    If you are riding a Trek 6300 I doubt you'll be doing staircases and hucking if you are you bought the wrong bike :roll: It'll be fine for most things on most trails.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • 6D7G4357.jpg

Far beyond my skillz but it just shows what a great rider can do on a hardtail!
  • Depends on many things..... how heavy you are, is the landing flat or a transition/slope, how well you absorb the impact etc.....

You can be rolling really slowly, drop 2ft to flat and not absorb the drop properly and feel like you ruptured a disc...... or drop 10ft rolling nicely onto a transition and hardly feel it as the ground gently comes up to meet you....

Anyhow don't worry about busting the bike from extreme riding..... major kudos is earned from that. 8)
  • Miggins
    Sounds like the bike's probably more capable than I am, then. If I find I'm wanting to drop from higher, it'll be a good excuse to get another bike :wink:
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Depends how good you are! Lol!

I do a staircase on a daily basis on my commute to work, about 5-6 foot... On a specialized hardrock.

Wheel strength is probably more important!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    As big as your skill can manage! If you land it badly, you may break your bike, if you land it well, you probably won't. That's about it, unless you're doing bender-esque type hucks!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Miggins
    It sounds like nerve might be the limiting factor, then! Thanks all.
  • Just watch any Danny Mccaskill video on Youtube
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive done 5 - 6ft drop off with Sunn Mammoth rims, just rememeber to take the thud with your legs and arms on my scott

we use to ride street trial when i was younger (and skinnier!!)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • 6D7G4357.jpg

Far beyond my skillz but it just shows what a great rider can do on a hardtail!

It doesn't show him landing though! :P
    Anybody can fling themself off a cliff on a bike. :lol:
  • ^^ good picture though you cant see the 50 man safety crew get out of shot... 8)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If I obeyed the warnings that came with my bike I'd never ride anything other than tow paths, and even then going over a root probably invalidates the warranty.