Mudguards on a non-eyeleted bike! With thicker tyres...

pabsw
pabsw Posts: 19
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
Have a question:

I have a cyclocross bike which is seeing more and more use as a kind of fearless road bike - it's very comfy and very resistant to potholes and detritus. However... I have no eyelets for mudguards. I have a short blind ended threaded hole in the read of the EC90x forks. Nothing in the rear triangle. I am not prepared to drill anything.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Some notes:
- Someone suggested P-clips but I read that they can corrode and cause frame damage.
- Tyres are too thick to place the crud roadracer.
- Short crud catchers are no good for what I want, don't follow the wheel and don't provide enough coverage.
Litespeed CX - for sale
Klein Attitude XV - sold
Klein Q-pro Carbon Team - sold
Klein Attitude comp -sold
Spech Rockhopper A1 FS from c.1996 (for sale - offers!?)

Comments

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    pabsw wrote:
    Have a question:

I have a cyclocross bike which is seeing more and more use as a kind of fearless road bike - it's very comfy and very resistant to potholes and detritus. However... I have no eyelets for mudguards. I have a short blind ended threaded hole in the read of the EC90x forks. Nothing in the rear triangle. I am not prepared to drill anything.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Some notes:
    - Someone suggested P-clips but I read that they can corrode and cause frame damage.
    - Tyres are too thick to place the crud roadracer.
    - Short crud catchers are no good for what I want, don't follow the wheel and don't provide enough coverage.

It depends on the clip. A quality one wont corrode or damage the frame. Wrap some innertube around the stays if you're worried and it'll be fine. Chain rReaction had some good makes. Careful use of cable ties might also work in some circumstances.
  • pabsw
    thanks - tortec nylon coated ones?
    cheers for advice.
    Litespeed CX - for sale
    Klein Attitude XV - sold
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    pabsw wrote:
    thanks - tortec nylon coated ones?
    cheers for advice.

I thought it was plastic, but its been so long since I looked tbh. Just be careful not to over tighten incase it splits the plastic. Pinch tight, then ride for a couple of miles and check iirc. (I think Sheldon Brown had some stuff on his site about this, might be worth looking there) :)
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I got rubber lined p-clips from here:
    http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ ... brLnd.html

along with some allen bolts, nyloc nuts, and washers to mount a rack to my MTB. Cost less than a tenner and works better than you might think. The rubber coating is pretty sturdy so I don't see it disintegrating anytime soon. Haven't had them on all that long though.
  • pabsw
    thanks for the tips, I just got back from my LBS, had a look at their fitments. Think I will be going for the p-clip option for the horizontal seat stay bridge, but I did happen to notice another post which describes using a reflector mount as a kind of modded p-clip which I might also try for the seat stays & bottom bracket bridge as they are a little oversized plus I would prefer plastic to metal on the frame.

Great advice, thanks. P
    Litespeed CX - for sale
    Klein Attitude XV - sold
  • No, don't drill anything. A framebuilder will braze on any number of threaded barrels you need at reasonable cost, but you will get your paintwork damaged in the process. But .. I bet you got an aluminium jobbie. Welding will ruin more paintwork than brazing.

No one likes P clips on their bike.Get your bike out of the garage for a ride and there they are ... P clips. You do not notice anything but P clips. And when you are riding along all you can think of are ... P clips.
  • pabsw
    uhhha! the reflector mounts seem a good idea with some covert zippies thrown in. I don't really mind seeing clips I have to say. But no braze-ons. It's a titanium frame and nothing is gonna mess with that!
    Litespeed CX - for sale
    Klein Attitude XV - sold