My Abus Granit X Plus lock (Indestructable?? A 54 or not??)

KonaKurt
KonaKurt Posts: 720
edited March 2015 in Commuting general
The Abus Granit X-Plus 54 lock is getting top reviews but I have some questions about it...!

I recently invested in an Abus Granit X-Plus 54 lock, thanks to the outstanding reviews they seem to be getting from this site :o) I have three questions about them, can anyone help?

1: When I say that I bought a X-Plus 54, what I mean is I think I did! The retailer that I purchased it from gave me a lock that looks identical to one, but I did not notice the number '54' on it's packaging. I know that there is a "X-Plus" and an "X-Plus 54" which is slightly superior. Is there anyway I can identify which lock I actually have?

2: Being "almost indestructable" I was wondering if anyone has been unfortunate yet to have theirs broken (and bike stolen) yet?? I realize that nothing is 100% indestructable, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had theirs fail them yet?

3: Another thing I am wondering about, is if anyone has had any problems with using their "CodeKey" to get replacement keys for their Granit? Or are Abus genuinely flawless in replacing lost keys?? I'm just wondering about this, in case I stupidly lose my keys at some point!

KonaKurt

Comments

• KonaKurt wrote:
    The Abus Granit X-Plus 54 lock is getting top reviews but I have some questions about it...!

I recently invested in an Abus Granit X-Plus 54 lock, thanks to the outstanding reviews they seem to be getting from this site :o) I have three questions about them, can anyone help?

1: When I say that I bought a X-Plus 54, what I mean is I think I did! The retailer that I purchased it from gave me a lock that looks identical to one, but I did not notice the number '54' on it's packaging. I know that there is a "X-Plus" and an "X-Plus 54" which is slightly superior. Is there anyway I can identify which lock I actually have?

"X-plus" seems to be used by Abus to denote a certain security level, so several products have the "X-plus" name, like the "Bordo X-plus". AFAIK there is only one U-lock for bicycles with the "X-plus" moniker, and that is the "Granit X-plus 54". There is a "Granit Plus 51" but that lock have a round shackle, unlike the 54 which has a square parabolic shackle. So if your lock has a square shackle, then it is a "Granit X-plus 54" (in theory it could also be the 3 kg MC u-lock called "Granit Extreme 59)
    KonaKurt wrote:
    2: Being "almost indestructable" I was wondering if anyone has been unfortunate yet to have theirs broken (and bike stolen) yet?? I realize that nothing is 100% indestructable, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had theirs fail them yet?

No, I haven't had a bike stolen since I started using Abus U-locks +10 years ago. Before that I had several bikes stolen.

My oldest Abus U-lock is still in service since I gave it to a friend 3-4 years ago. He keeps his bike and lock outside all year round totally exposed to the rain, but this decade old "Abus Junior" U-lock keeps on working.

On my commuter bike I use a Abus Varedo 47 u-lock. I lock and unlock it several times a day and have done so for 6 years and the locks still works perfectly. I use a light oil once or twice a year (whenever it doesn't operate perfectly smooth) in the cylinder.

My Abus X-plus 54 isn't used that much, since I only use it on when leaving my "expensive" road bike alone outside my home.

All in all my experience with Abus U-locks have been very very good, especially compared to other peoples experience with other brands (broken keys, seized locks etc.). Abus lock holders are also IMHO the best on the market
    KonaKurt wrote:
    3: Another thing I am wondering about, is if anyone has had any problems with using their "CodeKey" to get replacement keys for their Granit? Or are Abus genuinely flawless in replacing lost keys?? I'm just wondering about this, in case I stupidly lose my keys at some point!

KonaKurt

If you got the CodeKey card it is trivial to get a set of spare keys, just use an authorized Abus reseller. AFAIK, a copy of the number on the CodeKey card or the remaining key should be enough to get new keys.

--
    Regards
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Mine says ABUS GRANIT X PLUS 54/160 on the bottom next to where the key goes in.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Salsa wrote:
    Mine says ABUS GRANIT X PLUS 54/160 on the bottom next to where the key goes in.

+1. So do both of mine ABUS-GRANIT X-Plus 54/160 HB and MADE IN GERMANY.

Before I got knocked off I used to ride with one in each pannier.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    Thanks guys!! I never thought to pay much attention to what was stamped on the bottom of my lock!

Mine also says "ABUS-GRANIT X-Plus 54/160 HB" meaning mine is also the famous '54'!!
    But note, that my local bike store tells me that there IS a plain "X-plus" shackle lock too, with a slightly lower security rating then the "54". IT should be about £30 cheaper than the "54" too, I am told.

For those interested in the quality of the material, I'm also told by a local store, that they tried their own experiment on a X-plus 54 recently for a bike show abroad. They did their best to butcher through one with a power tool, and after a shower of sparks for 3 mins it destroyed 3 cutter discs before finally giving way. I'm told that a theif with a power tool will make SO MUCH noise trying to cut through the shackle, that the din will wake the dead..!

Nice kit.

KK.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    KonaKurt wrote:
    I'm told that a theif with a power tool will make SO MUCH noise trying to cut through the shackle, that the din will wake the dead..!

this just raises the age old philosophical question 'if a thief is making a din trying to steal your bike, will anyone around to hear it do owt?'

the answer is not typically. :(
    Hat + Beard
  • [thread hijack - my apologies, but clearly a lot of Abus Granit x plus users here and I couldn't resist]

I am looking to get a couple of these locks (one each for me and my better half). I see that there are 2 or 3 different mounting options. What are the pros and cons of each option?

I am interested in carrying one on a Tricross frame, with (usually fully loaded) rack and guards, and bottle carriers. Preferably not in the pannier. Is it possible to attach any of the mounts on the inside of the pannier rack? Are there any pictures online of the mounts?

[/thread hijack]
  • Interestedcp
    Interestedcp Posts: 48
    edited February 2011
    [thread hijack - my apologies, but clearly a lot of Abus Granit x plus users here and I couldn't resist]

I am looking to get a couple of these locks (one each for me and my better half). I see that there are 2 or 3 different mounting options. What are the pros and cons of each option?

I am interested in carrying one on a Tricross frame, with (usually fully loaded) rack and guards, and bottle carriers. Preferably not in the pannier. Is it possible to attach any of the mounts on the inside of the pannier rack? Are there any pictures online of the mounts?

[/thread hijack]

First off all, notice that you can buy "paired Abus locks", meaning that the same key works with 2 or more locks.

I am not aware of any mounting systems that works on the inside of the pannier rack, except for the special Tubus Locc rack, designed to carry Abus locks:
    http://www.tubus.com/en/rear-carriers/locc

The Abus "EaZy-KF" mounting system is very easy to use, even one-handed. Works well with the heavy Abus 54. But it is very big, perhaps even ugly on the bike. Not easy to mount on a bike without interfering with the legs. Can't be used on the top tube since it interfere with top tube cables. Couldn't find a good place on my Racelight Tk bike for it, so I took it off.
    halter_eazy.jpg

I have no personal experience with the alternative "TexKF Twin" mounting system, but I have used its very similar predecessor for many years: Works well on top tubes, can even be set slightly off centre, so the locks hangs parallel with the frame and therefore doesn't interfere with bottles in the bottle cage.
    Requires two hands to use, but is quite easy to operate. Over the years the mounting system will develop some play; it won't rattle, but the lock may hit the frame and ding the paint if it hangs parallel with the frame. (mostly and issue on compact or small frames). I suspect that heavy locks will develop play sooner.
    halter_texkftwin.jpg

The "UGH 02" holder works very well, even with heavy locks. A very solid construction. A little slower to use than the click-holders. But it does interfere with panniers, since I found out that I sometimes needed both my panniers, I took that off my bike too. Can hold other stuffs besides locks, like umbrellas.

Haven't tried their old USH holder. As a rule, you can convert most Abus u-locks to any of their lock holders.

If I would buy new locks, I would choose the Abus Granit Futura 64; almost as secure as the X-Plus 54 (generally those that have the tools to open the Futura can also open the 54, even though it may take a little longer). Of course, the Abus X-plus 54 looks much more massive and secure which may deter thieves from even trying.

Can be had in a narrow version too. Much lighter and more handy than the Abus 54 that easily can chip your frame paint if not handled carefully.

--
    Regards
  • Many thanks, Interested, for the comprehensive response
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    KonaKurt wrote:
    For those interested in the quality of the material, I'm also told by a local store, that they tried their own experiment on a X-plus 54 recently for a bike show abroad. They did their best to butcher through one with a power tool, and after a shower of sparks for 3 mins it destroyed 3 cutter discs before finally giving way. I'm told that a theif with a power tool will make SO MUCH noise trying to cut through the shackle, that the din will wake the dead..!.
    They must have not been trying enough. Could be using the wrong discs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XTYEcQAurs
  • djrock wrote:
    They must have not been trying enough. Could be using the wrong discs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XTYEcQAurs

Yes they probably didn't used the best disc, something that is very common on many youtube "angle grinder versus u-lock videos". Apparently knowledge about how effective diamond tipped blades are, aren't that widespread.

Sure, no bicycle lock is safe from motorized power tools with e.g. diamond tipped edges. However, that angle grinder was not battery operated, so it is an unlikely threat scenario. Also AFAIK due to the extreme stiffness of the Abus 54 shackle, it isn't enough to cut it once. You have to cut it twice to separate the lock from the frame, effectively doubling the time.

The lock was also placed in in a nice vice grip giving ample support for the cutting. IRL we are talking about a dangling u-lock that would move when the angle grinder hit it.
    Look at this guys problem with the u-lock moving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_9HpwhF ... re=related

Another problem is also evident on the video, namely that when the shackle is cut, the angle grinder continue downwards. This makes it even more difficult to cut an u-lock on an actual bicycle frame, since the diamond tipped blade would ruin the bicycle frame if it ever touched it. You have to make a much slower and controlled cut to avoid it.

Again, I am not saying it can't be done, just that it is much more difficult and time consuming IRL, and the necessary tools are expensive (battery operated angle grinders aren't cheap nor very common) and noisy.
    This really limits the amount of thieves that have the necessary tools and skills, and motivation to deal with such difficult locks.

--
    Regards
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    Yes they probably didn't used the best disc, something that is very common on many youtube "angle grinder versus u-lock videos". Apparently knowledge about how effective diamond tipped blades are, aren't that widespread.

Sure, no bicycle lock is safe from motorized power tools with e.g. diamond tipped edges. However, that angle grinder was not battery operated, so it is an unlikely threat scenario. Also AFAIK due to the extreme stiffness of the Abus 54 shackle, it isn't enough to cut it once. You have to cut it twice to separate the lock from the frame, effectively doubling the time.

That’s a big plus of the Abus 54/59 because the shackle is square section

The lock was also placed in in a nice vice grip giving ample support for the cutting. IRL we are talking about a dangling u-lock that would move when the angle grinder hit it.
    Look at this guys problem with the u-lock moving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_9HpwhF ... re=related

All that video shows is the person grinding it off does not know how to do it properly! Your meant to support the item your working on. Which he could do but obviously didn't know how or had to.

Another problem is also evident on the video, namely that when the shackle is cut, the angle grinder continue downwards. This makes it even more difficult to cut an u-lock on an actual bicycle frame, since the diamond tipped blade would ruin the bicycle frame if it ever touched it. You have to make a much slower and controlled cut to avoid it.

Yes but he was just cutting it in a vice so was not taking his time. I can see even if your being careful you could still slip and damage the frame.

Again, I am not saying it can't be done, just that it is much more difficult and time consuming IRL, and the necessary tools are expensive (battery operated angle grinders aren't cheap nor very common) and noisy.
    This really limits the amount of thieves that have the necessary tools and skills, and motivation to deal with such difficult locks.

You would hope that the tools needed being too expensive for the criminals so they won't have them. Well if they can't afford them they will just steal them.

--
    Regards

You would hope someone grinding a lock off would get people asking question.
  • bivvy
    bivvy Posts: 23
    Don't buy the futura instead of the Granit x plus

Bike radar has reviewed both and the futura is inferior. Basically only good for cafe stops. While the Granit X plus is very secure. Makes sense as it is a lighter and cheaper lock from the same maker.

Just shows do your research and never go off what someone says in a comment in a forum, even if they sound very confident.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 300-39850/

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -09-33986/

Ok this past is old, but people are still reading this, so I had to warn people! I came here after a search. I was nearly convinced to buy the futura, until I checked. A lesson for us all: be careful trusting comments in forums. Check properly with pro reviews.