French Alps, Switzerlan and Austria

dakkar
dakkar Posts: 64
edited February 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi Ladies and Gents,

This summer, July time I'm planning on taking the Bike Express to Grenoble in the central French Alps. Of course being in the neighbourhood it would be sacralidge not to go up and down Alpe - d' Huez then of course just around the corner is the Col du Galibier which leads nicely on to the Col de l'Iseran. This will lead me to the Mont Blanc massive and the border with Switzerland. From here I'm not sure of a route to Vienna through Switerland and Austria. I have about ten days to two weeks to get to Vienna from Mont Blanc. I'm hoping to camp and hostel my way there travelling light aroung 100 to 150 k's a day.
I would be very grateful for any suggestions re the route to Vienna from anybody who has cycled in that area, sights and mountain passes you would reccommend as unmissable on such a journey.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    Ok, I can help you with the first part of your proposed route. I'd go from the Iseran via the Cormet de Roselend (not to be missed) to Chamonix (make sure to stay off the main road in the Chamonix valley) and then via Forclaz into Switzerland. Follow the valley to Sion and up to Furka (or if you have time and energy via Nufenen and the old cobbled road up St Gottard), then Oberalp, down the valley to Chur (via the Rhine gorge and not the main road). Next would be Lenzerheide and Albula, then follow the Inntal Radweg (cycle route) into Austria. You can stay on this for 100's of almost flat kms, but more interesting is to go via the mountains: the steep Pillerhoehe, followed by Kuehtai and then onto Innsbruck. I leave it to you to find your way from there to Vienna.
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com