New job, new bike

steve57353
steve57353 Posts: 7
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
I’m sure that (variations on) this topic have been done to death, but I’d be really grateful to hear your thoughts.

Time to replace my old commuter, a 2003 Ridgeback Genesis Day:01 with drop bars. A new job and no car mean I’m now riding 12 miles each way to work. It’s rural, very hilly (including couple of long 1-in-3s) and very pot-holed. As a mountain-biker, I’m finding the Ridgeback scarily under-braked, and a bit flexy (to the extent that there’s lots of horrible rubbing from somewhere when I’m really honking up the worst hills).

So, should I be looking for:

- a proper road bike

- a ‘crosser

- a tourer / audax

- some hybrid concoction

It’s got to have great brakes in all weathers (can canti’s or V’s ever be as good as discs?) and mudguards / crud-catchers are essential. Something that’ll take tyres bigger than 23mm, too, as I’m not used to dodging pot-holes. Sensible gearing ("hills can go up as well as down"). And it’s got to be fun – I like a bit of adrenaline & speed on my commute.

There is also a wildcard option: I have an On-one 456Ti frame and spare DT Swiss mtb wheels – I could always build this up with drop bars and road-able tyres. I’m sorely tempted by the thought of a tough, ti framed road bike, specially if I put on a short-ish rigid fork (it might be a bit slack otherwise). But would it just be a pigs-ear of a bike? I know nothing about potential component compatibility issues. Would a road-bike chainset fit an mtb BB shell, would I have to go for higher gearing to compensate for the smaller diameter wheels, etc. Also, not sure how those 26" wheels would affect the "road-bike" mile-munching feel that I'm after for my commute?

Looking at spending round £1k, give or take. Not worried about brand-snobbery, looks or anything. Just want a bike that makes getting to work fun. Any suggestions and experiences would be appreciated.

Comments

• I hear good things about the Genesis Croix Der Fer.

That seems to tick most of your boxes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    V-s can be as good as 'OK' discs, but never as good as good ones, Canti's at their best are no better than the cheapest V's, but most good brakes (possible exception of canti's as they are the spawn of Lucipher) will put you up on the front wheel, Discs only really score in the wet because they stay dry.

Now that cyclocross allows discs, the latest crossers should suite you, but will be pricey.

There are some good Flat barred Hybrids out there with good discs but I don't know of any on drops, although ones with good cable could be converted using road ratio callipers (like Avid's).

Whether you want drops is very personal, flats can be almost as low and have bar ends (like the Boardman hybrids) to give you more range of hand positions, as my commute is 6.6 miles I have flats set low (about 3" below saddle height) and just get on with it.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    I've got a 12 mile each way commute at the moment and have three bikes. I have a mountain based hybrid, not a bad budget bike but very frustrating, within 3 miles i'd wished i'd taken another bike. I wouldn't recommend that route for a reasonable length commute. I have a CX bike which is really good actually though mine has quite a racing geometry to it so it's not as comfy as I sometimes wish, maybe a more relaxed geometry crosser would be better.

I have recently finished a build of a Genesis Equilibrium and can wholeheartedly recommend it, it feels so different to the cross bike and goes like the clappers. I've also got full SKS's on mine. I built mine with a full 105 drivetrain for about £850 if you're handy with the tools, or you can get the tiagra/sora one fully built for about the same price.

The basic problem you'll have coming from a mountain background is the brakes won't be as good. As far as i'm aware there isn't a road bike with hydraulic discs and I don't think there's a need. I imagine though a lot of perceived brake inefficiencies are due to lack of proper adjustment/maintainance.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If it's hilly, then I'd go for a road bike, which can take 25 mm tyres, with a compact chainset (possibly a 12-27 cassette). You'll get to know where the pot-holes are, and when to dodge them. Get yourself some strong wheels, though.

I do like the Croix de Fer, though.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • pabsw
    pabsw Posts: 19
    firstly nothing made out of the loverly ti could EVER be called a pigs-ear. Phew! :shock:

That sounds like a great bike - you sound like you know what you are talking about.

However Cyclo-X really has a lot to offer. Focus offer some nice things for the grand mark last time I checked on wiggle.

I commute on 28mm, they are a bit more comfy and puncture resistant than the 25mm I used to commute on. but just personal preference I 'spose

Brakes wise I would prob go for ceramic rims and V brakes if you are sticking with the Ti, I have used these also and they are more sharp than the XTR hydraulics IMO but less progressive. But they certainly stop you in a hurry! I used to run Rolf Propel Ceramic with XT Vbrakes - very nice. If you are going cyclo-x I would get frog legs, better clearance for those whims that might take you down singletrack - just beware of chatter / shudder. road calipers though... still stop you, albeit a bit smoother than frogs legs.
    Litespeed CX - for sale
    Klein Attitude XV - sold
    Klein Q-pro Carbon Team - sold
    Klein Attitude comp -sold
    Spech Rockhopper A1 FS from c.1996 (for sale - offers!?)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    12 miles even hilly isn't that far. A hybrid 700c with 25C tyres but with disc brakes? I say disc as if you are going to be riding every day in all weathers doing a lot of heavy braking down hill then your rims may well wear quickly. It's cheaper replacing disc pads and rotors than having a new wheel build because your rim is worn through. You can fit bar ends and an adjustable stem to a hybrid to make the riding position lower or how ever more comfortable for you. Plus hybrids tend to come with clearance and bosses for racks and mudguards.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.