Olympic Stadium - What Next?

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
Right. So West Ham are the preferred bidders.

I would have thought using it in some way for athletics was the way to go but no.

The question now though is what will happen next?

Has no one been listening to Barry Hearn that it is against FA rules for another club to go there as the location is too close to Leamington Spa?

And that he will take everone to court. WTF is going on?

Or is it just - Oh they are just wee guys and we will ride rough shod over them?
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• I thought the idea was to knock it down and build another stadium..sound like British lodgic to me :?

And what as Leamington Spa got to do with the east-end of London???
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    that was the spurs of Tottenham's option, st'am got it because they won't and they'll retain the track for athletics.
    FCN 12
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Which will be the only sport you'll see there very soon.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Meadowbank Thistle? anyone remember them?

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I thought the idea was to knock it down and build another stadium..sound like British lodgic to me :?

And what as Leamington Spa got to do with the east-end of London???

That'll teach me to work from memory on an area that I am not familiar with :oops:

Leyton Orient are none too chuffed.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Am sure Hearns will accept some compensation. Love WHL but the transport sucks, its taken 2.5 hours to get home on a Saturday evening & its 45mins by train to Stratford. Just hope Newham residents don't mind proping up the loan when Aggieboy & Smokin Joe don't go because of the track, nevermind eh :twisted:
  • It's a fowl-up from the start. A vanity stadium for the athletes (how many times are they going to get 50,000 to fill it), now over-budget (of course, don't get me started on the swimming pool). Despite sounding a bit mad, Spurs plan makes more sense in the long run (dedicated football stadium, dedicated smaller athletics stadium) - but the too-far-up-their-own-bums athletes won't have it, and nor will the Olympics Committee.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Am sure Hearns will accept some compensation. Love WHL but the transport sucks, its taken 2.5 hours to get home on a Saturday evening & its 45mins by train to Stratford. Just hope Newham residents don't mind proping up the loan when Aggieboy & Smokin Joe don't go because of the track, nevermind eh :twisted:
    Nothing wrong with a running track, it gave Wembley it's character. All stadiums look the same now, so boring.

(And don't worry, once we've got our feet under the table we'll find a good reason why the running track has to go) :wink:
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Am sure Hearns will accept some compensation. Love WHL but the transport sucks, its taken 2.5 hours to get home on a Saturday evening & its 45mins by train to Stratford. Just hope Newham residents don't mind proping up the loan when Aggieboy & Smokin Joe don't go because of the track, nevermind eh :twisted:
    Nothing wrong with a running track, it gave Wembley it's character. All stadiums look the same now, so boring.

(And don't worry, once we've got our feet under the table we'll find a good reason why the running track has to go) :wink:

TBH I didn't want to go, but it's not up to me and it doesn't affect my life, so what the hell. I'm really going to miss the atmosphere of evening games at 'The Boleyn' with my son though, they're something special.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • pneumatic wrote:
    Meadowbank Thistle? anyone remember them?

Yes.

The former Ferranti Thistle and the current Livingston.
  • Very little mention of the £95m West Ham's bid will cost the tax payers ! :evil:
  • StillGoing
    Smokin Joe wrote:

You won't be allowed to, Spurs will insist that it is written in the final contract agreement that the running track stays for perpetuity as it is the one reason their bid was rejected by the panel. Best buy some binoculars to watch your team playing in division one by the time you get to play in the stadium. :lol:
  • StillGoing
    Get used to the view spammers. :lol:

stock-photo-athletics-stadium-32455426.jpg

stadioolimpico.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    philthy3 wrote:
    stadioolimpico.jpg

This stadium has hosted four European Cup/Champions League finals and a World Cup final. I'm sure something similar will be good enough for West Ham.

I've actually seen a game there. No problem seeing what was going on and a great atmosphere (Roma v Inter in the early 90s)

The idea that football can't exist with a track is purely a British idea.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    stadioolimpico.jpg

This stadium has hosted four European Cup/Champions League finals and a World Cup final. I'm sure something similar will be good enough for West Ham.

I've actually seen a game there. No problem seeing what was going on and a great atmosphere (Roma v Inter in the early 90s)

The idea that football can't exist with a track is purely a British idea.

Isn't it a British thing because once you've got used to the pitch being a few yards from the front row of seats it's kind of a no going back thing? Bayern Munich played at a stadium with a running track but moved to a new one without for the 2006 WC...why was that? Why does the Stade de France have moveable stands to cover the running track? The Stadio Olimpico may have hosted a WC final in 1990 but times have changed, I'd be surprised if we ever saw another WC final in a stadium with a running track.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

You won't be allowed to, Spurs will insist that it is written in the final contract agreement that the running track stays for perpetuity as it is the one reason their bid was rejected by the panel. Best buy some binoculars to watch your team playing in division one by the time you get to play in the stadium. :lol:

The track & that it would take us 2 years to "recycle" the Stadium & West Ham rearrange the seating & move in within a few months. Rich, big difference to the CL/Euro/World cup finals which are tv events & West Ham v Blackburn on a Monday night in January. Espanyol & their stadium? It's not just a British thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Bayern_Munich#Stadium

"A further complaint was the distance between the spectators and the pitch, the stadium betraying its track and field heritage."
  • RichN95.
    edited February 2011

Isn't it a British thing because once you've got used to the pitch being a few yards from the front row of seats it's kind of a no going back thing? Bayern Munich played at a stadium with a running track but moved to a new one without for the 2006 WC...why was that? Why does the Stade de France have moveable stands to cover the running track? The Stadio Olimpico may have hosted a WC final in 1990 but times have changed, I'd be surprised if we ever saw another WC final in a stadium with a running track.

Berlin 2006
    220px-Berliner_Olympiastadion_night.jpg
    Yokohama 2002
    300px-Yokohamakokusai20041208.jpg

Four of the last six Champions League finals have been in a stadium with a track (five if you include Stade de France)

As to Bayern - if you're building a football only stadium, you don't build a track (but they managed with a track for 30 years). Stade de France was actually thought through properly. A track shouldn't be a hinderance.
  • RichN95.
    It's not just a British thing.

In the 60s curry and pizza weren't British things either. If fans approach it with a closed mind they will hate it. But having seen several football matches with a track, it isn't that big a deal.

If people can see the Olympic 100m final from the back straight (seen that too), then they can see a football match.

Oh, and you say the WC/CL are TV events. Well so is the Premiership these days.
  • StillGoing
    Teams that were using stadiums with running tracks have moved out or are moving out because spectator numbers dropped drastically. It isn't a British thing more learning by everyone else's lessons, something which Newham, the selection panel and Brady and Sullivan haven't bothered listening to.