Schwalbe Marathon Plus

2»

Comments

• fishz
    fishz Posts: 20
    I swapped to M+ a couple of hundred miles ago. So far, so good, but man are they heavy. I read that they were but I thought it was an exaggeration. Put them on and was looking for my brakes snagging or something else causing the "drag" for ages before I realised it was all of that additional moving weight :roll: I'm cycling for fitness and weight loss, so it's not all about efficiency in my case and I'll go to extremes to avoid swapping out tubes flats on my commute.

Got ordinary Marathon's on the touring bike (that I also commute on) but have nothing to compare with - haven't changed the tyres on that yet. Don't think they're anywhere as heavy as the M+ though.

Got the M+ from Spa btw - seem to be the cheapest out there.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I slammed some zefal liners on my conti speedking cross tyres and would you know it they'e now bullet proof, I actually rolled over barbed wire last weekend.

My commuter has conti hardshells and will forever more, the sportive Trek and alps Ribble have conti 4000s

I've had two flats this year, one on a cheap conti sports tyre and the other a duff old glued inner tube.

PS can suck my hairy (smooth) ....!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Meh. I think it depends on the Armadillos' production date too. I've got some 2007/2008 that look like they're going to outlast two sets of rims and god knows how many miles with only one unscheduled deflation, and they're still great.
    I think the newer 2008/2009 tyres are just worse. I've got a set (actually I think they're Armadillo Roubaix) that ride like crap and just aren't worth bothering with. I took them off after ~500 miles.

Having just slated the more recent Armadillos, I wouldn't fork out for M+ just yet, give the Armadillos a chance: they are actually fairly tough. Honest.

Tyre pressures, tyre pressures, tyre pressures.... and gutter-riding
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • + several million for tyre pressures and a good road position

Got M+ on hybrid and cheapish generic maxxis cx nobblies on the cx. I ride the same mixed surface route inc rural roads on both and (touch wood) haven't p* either as I keep em well ard and make a effort to watch what is coming up and not roll over owt thay looks pointy.

As an aside: if I'm coming up to a pinch point etc I'll take a super primary position at/beyond the centre of the carriageway to stop all but the genuinely insane motorist trying a cheeky squeeze past before the pinch point.