OT: Theatre Tickets

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I want to treat the family (5) to go and see Mamma Mia at the theatre as they love the fiilm and love the music. I can't seem to find much below 80 quid a ticket for a decent seat, on the off chance does anyone have any ideas where cheaper tickets can be bought? Can't really be paying out £400 for a couple of hours (albeit I'm sure brilliant) entertainment.

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    In this order:

Check through the Metro looking for deals.

Phone the theatre directly (collecting saves delivery charges and maybe even booking fees).

Phone ticket master but always ask if there are any special offers/deals going or coming up.

Buy cheaper seats.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    This

51XT2Vbku5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and spend the remaining £390 on bikey bits and beer.

EDIT: Re-read your post and looks like they've seen it already! Ah well, an extra couple of pints for you then!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    edited February 2011
    Just go for the £20 tickets (http://www.mamma-mia.com). You'll still get brownie points and can spend £300 on some carbon of some description[/url]
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    If you want to go before next Friday there's half price tickets available as part of 'Get Into London Theatre'.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    You can buy tickets via this site (but I wouldn't as they aren't that cheap).

http://www.theatremonkey.com/

What the site is really good at is giving you information on the seats you have brought: are they worth the money?

I tend to look at lastminute.com to see if they have any deals.

Or you could always buy on the day from the Ticket Booth in Leicester Sq (if they have any tickets left). They are normally discounted quite a bit.

One final tip (I do this quite a bit), you can often get cheap tickets and then "upgrade" for free on the night either by simply moving to seat with no takers on the night, or as I did on Monday night, by being moved by the theatre as the section I had brought for was closed that evening: got £50 seats for £25. (Might not be possible for your show).

Good luck
  • Yeah, sounds like you've been checking broker sites. Contact their box office directly.
  • Seen it - it has none of the humour of the film. It really is bad theatre, I just can't believe why it is still running and why some people go and see it over and over again.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    The only cheap way is to go to a less popular performance and buy the cheap standing seats then find some empty seats when the show starts. Not really ideal for a family night out though.
  • lastant wrote:
    If you want to go before next Friday there's half price tickets available as part of 'Get Into London Theatre'.

Thanks for all the replies, just trying to get the gang together to take advantage of the above suggestion...some great deals to be had there...cheers!