Hargroves Cycles

White Horse
White Horse Posts: 161
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
With respect to repairs and servicing are they another Halfords in that the quality is "variable" or are they a good LBS gone bigger?

My local one fitted a new wheel for me the other week but I could have done that myself but why bother when fitting was free?

Anyone had any experience of servicing in a Hargroves? Are they any good?

Comments

• I've used the Southampton branch. Seem OK for basic stuff
  • chojin
    chojin Posts: 67
    The southampton branch seem like good and knowledgable guys (i bought my bike from them), however those at the winchester branch I found to be a bit surly!

I had my bike serviced at southampton a few weeks back, and mentioned a problem I was having with my freehub - they knew straight away that it was a common fault and sent my wheel back to the factory to fixed.
    Overall, I was happy with their service i'd say - however, the winchester store i'd avoid.
    2010 Cube AMS Pro 125 RX
    2010 On One 456ss, RS Reba, SLX, Juicy 3s
    2008 Giant XTC 3.5 (Sold)

2010 Cube Attention (RIP, stolen in September)
  • pabsw
    pabsw Posts: 19
    Totally agree with chojin. as I used to commute between southampton and winchester. Hargreaves winchester not too good, diffident about servicing etc.

The Southampton store is very much bigger and has nicer rides in it and the guys are more knowledgable and able to help. However, if I was in southampon again I would prob. go to either The Hub for general repairs; but for serious things like frame bending etc I would go to Rock n Road (they managed to bend back my klein attitude rear hanger)
    Litespeed CX - for sale
    Klein Attitude XV - sold
    Klein Q-pro Carbon Team - sold
    Klein Attitude comp -sold
    Spech Rockhopper A1 FS from c.1996 (for sale - offers!?)
  • pabsw
    I would btw definately steer clear of half-'measures'-fords IMHO.
    Litespeed CX - for sale
    Klein Attitude XV - sold
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    The Southampton store is staffed by lads who race quite frequently.Used to have quite a good rivalry with GA Cycles and The Hub with cyclocross events iirc.

Their interest extends far outside the shop which is why they tend to have a better knowledge of maintenance issues and gear lust.
  • pabsw
    lol I remember once going between GA cycles and The Hub because they kept undercutting each other.
    Litespeed CX - for sale
    Klein Attitude XV - sold
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    pabsw wrote:
    lol I remember once going between GA cycles and The Hub because they kept undercutting each other.

TBH I rarely bother with GA now. Good shop and great staff, but they're often so busy its not worth it for me. I did put in for a big quote last year, but despite chasing up a couple of times they never got back to me.

In the end the LBS, Cycleworld over in Thornhill did the work for me.
  • pabsw
    The Hub built my Q-pro from frameset and my own bits, very reasonable and very good. I even went back there from where I am now in norfolk just to get them to build it as they have a great attitude and are very willing to help. They also know their own limitations which is extremely valuable imo. they also don't mind you waiting around, watching, chatting etc. They also used to have a nice sofa (perhaps they still do...) where you can sit and twiddle the ol' thumbs whilst your beloved is being serviced.
    Litespeed CX - for sale
    Klein Attitude XV - sold
  • I used to use the Soton branch of Hargroves simply because they were opposite my place of work so I could get the bike serviced same day and then ride home! But I never really liked them, TBH. Shop is always stupidly busy and, to me at least, the place has a conveyor belt/production line feel and the guys, though knowledgeable, don't seem overly focused on customer service. That may be because they are so busy!

Hargroves ARE expensive though. Last year's service on my road bike cost about £300 (inc the parts)!!! At that price you might expect to be given VIP treatment, but they'd forgotten to fit the new rubber brake hoods that I'd ordered specially, and the new bar tape started unravelling a few weeks later. And they didn't really care.

If you're Southampton-based I can recommend The Hub. The shop always seem quiet and therefore the guys are quite happy to chat and even perform minor jobs for free. Cheaper for servicing costs, esp hubs and wheel truing. They're also more useful than Hargroves if your bike is old-skool low-tech stuff. Same with GA Cycles - never seem busy, even on Saturdays, and recently removed an old Normandy freewheel from a rear hub for no charge (The Hub didn't have the right tool - rare as hen's teeth).

I'd probably avoid CycleWorld in Thornhill for servicing, based simply on the fact that they don't stock Velox rim tape :) But a mate once had his Spesh Hardrock serviced there and wasn't happy. Complained to the manager who couldn't have been more helpful. Bike was sorted for free ASAP and the mechanic duly sacked.

Does anyone know what happened to DH CycleSport in Woolston?
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I've used the Fareham branch a few times and they're always helpful and offer good advice - I accidentally messed them around once with getting a bike built for me that I'd put a deposit down for over the phone and then calling the next day to say that I'd got something else from another shop and they had no issues with giving a refund and were totally understanding - I felt like a dick all the same though.

Not used them for servicing though as I'm trying to do everything myself... :twisted:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Southampton - busy but knowledgable IF you get the time to talk to them.

Winchester - not busy, still no time for you simply because they are too up themselves.

Fareham - generally good.

The problem for Fareham is that they are just along the street from Solent Cycles who are infinitely better. I've presented filthy MTBs there at short notice for "issues" (of my making) and they've always sorted me out. They're about to lay their hands on my roadie for the first time so I'll let you know how they do there.

Probably helps that their staff are all incredibly active cyclists, even to the point of now coming out to lead a ride for one of my MTB clubs (who are "supported" by Hargroves!).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Swindon branch seems to be OK - not too busy as the site is a bit out of the way but the staff helpful and knowledgeable - its a new branch so maybe will change as it gets busier - hope not
  • Use winchester and Ride with the Thursday night group. Only shop in the area I found a ride from. Heard the road club in the summer gets a bit fast!! Have always found them honest and very helpful. Small busy shop - never been there when not. Always seems to be a couple of guy's with Team Kit on when I go who are friendly and chatty. Never use anywhere else.
  • I have always found the Southampton shop helpful - but then I have bought four bikes from their in last four years so maybe they just recognise me by now!

Last bike was actually for my sister - had a problem getting the front wheel in and out, I was expecting them just to 'ease' the situation with a judicious bend of the problem part, but the mechanic took one look at it, and very aplogetically said he didn't like the look of the fork and ordered up a new one for the bike.

In fact - have a £50 voucher for them as a Christmas present I need to use pretty soon.
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink