Some people are just....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
complete tits....

Saw a guy this morning on a Carbon Focus Cayo - He overtakes me as we are coming up to a junction, fine, I am slowing for the junction. He then swings across the front of me and the front of the traffic onto the pavement to avoid having to pull out into an already traffic jammed junction - although bikes could move through it very easily, lots of big gaps and a clear route through onthe right of the traffic.

So, Mr Focus cuts me up, rides up onto the pavement then hops from pavement back onto road on the otherside of the junction about 30 yards up the main road I overtake him as I have just stayed on the road all the way through....and carried on up the main road on the right, where there is no traffic.

I cannot abide people who deliberately ride on the pavement, when the road is clear and useable and do not have the foresight/guts to move through the traffic....what a pussy.

No wonder we get such a bad name........

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    ++1
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    "Saw a guy this morning on a Carbon Focus Cayo"......."hops from pavement back onto road"

He won't be doing that for much longer :S
  • gtvlusso
    Sorry - bit of an over rant on my behalf as it was only a minor incident, but this kinda behaviour just reinforces a perceived stereotype.......
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I can sympathise. I'm finding at the moment that other cyclists are winding me up more than drivers.

That includes some idiot plowing through a pedestrian crossing and missing 5-6 people by no more than a couple of inches, and a guy on a Trek almost clipping my front wheel on Hammersmith bridge as he swung across behind a bus without even looking.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Mattsaw wrote:
    I can sympathise. I'm finding at the moment that other cyclists are winding me up more than drivers.

+ f*cking 1

Came across fakejonginge again yesterday morning. All the gear, built like a whippet, but slow as f*ck and jumps every light. I made a snide comment when I overtook him for the 3rd sodding time. Somedays it seems like I'm the only cyclist actually waiting at reds. Lost my rag with one of them last night, had to take evasive actions as he sailed through a red and straight across my path in his stupid neon jacket. My language startled a few peds, but then it's been a shitty week at work and I was already f*cked off.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Mattsaw wrote:

+ f*cking 1

Came across fakejonginge again yesterday morning. All the gear, built like a whippet, but slow as f*ck and jumps every light. I made a snide comment when I overtook him for the 3rd sodding time. Somedays it seems like I'm the only cyclist actually waiting at reds. Lost my rag with one of them last night, had to take evasive actions as he sailed through a red and straight across my path in his stupid neon jacket. My language startled a few peds, but then it's been a shitty week at work and I was already f*cked off.

*Quietly moves all sharp objects out of Il Principe's reach...*
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    I have to agree. I'm finding more and more often that its the actions of other cyclists I have to be aware of on my daily commute, not cars. Case in point, a few weeks ago I stop at a pedestrian crossing to let a Mum and her 2 kids walk across and another cyclist jumps over the crossing, barely missing the Mum and when she (quite reasonably) tries to remonstrate with him he just screams at her "F*&K OFF!". I caught him up, rode alongside him and said, "Wow, nice one. If she didn't hate cyclists before then she defintiely does now. Well done." To which I got a loud "F*&K OFF!" as well.

It seems to be getting worse and, frankly, its really depressing.
  • It does seem to be a common theme at the moment. Cycling down the Mall yesterday morning only myself and one other person stopped at the red light on the pedestrian crossing, while about a dozen feckers shot straight through following each other like a load of sheep. Maybe they should try leaving home earlier than breaking the law.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Seems quite clear to me, regardless of mode of transport there are Cnuts everywhere.

Don't expect them be decent people just because they're on a bike.

Sad, but a fact of life.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    *considers adding a comment. Decides it's best not to...*
  • gtvlusso
    W1 wrote:

I don't get this.....why add a non comment?! Is this like negative profit?!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    gtvlusso wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Negative profit? I'm at a loss...

Cheers,
    W.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

Point made then!
  • W1
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

Point made then!

Sorry, it's just that I battled my way through at least two 16 page plus RLJing threads and don't think it's healthy to jump into another because there's probably not much more to say without being repetitve. But I thought Headhunter or NSB might at least have the decency to take the bait!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Oooh, you tease!
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • W1
    rjsterry wrote:
    Oooh, you tease!

Only on Fridays.
  • As the number of cyclists commuting on our roads goes up, a fair number of the new cyclists must be drawn from the pool of inconsiderate myway code drivers. So, while they're a real irritation for...let's call them... ''citizen cyclists,'' it really is safer for us now that they're on 2 wheels rather than 4. It's a sort of ''one more twât on a bike is one fewer twât behind the wheel'' logic.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I cannot abide people who deliberately ride on the pavement, when the road is clear and useable and do not have the foresight/guts to move through the traffic....what a pussy.

No wonder we get such a bad name........

+n
    +1 to OP

The number of next Tuesdays riding around at the moment beggars belief

<<Kicks off new war>>

Is it me or do most of them ride "trendy" single speedies?

Even more irritating are the silly f*ckers with no lights - saw one the other night, all the gear - no lights. No excuse, just none, never. Even if you've forgotten yours. You're in central London, there's a bike shop every 10 yards, just get some lights you tw&t.

Shoot them all, I say

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    SecretSam wrote:
    +1 to OP
    Is it me or do most of them ride "trendy" single speedies?

On my current route, most of them are middled fellas on hybrids wearing helmets and hi-viz. True story.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    OK, confession time folks {prepares to be torn apart by a pack of rabid cyclists]

Started commuting about two years ago on a full suss lump of pig iron on knobblies. Very few to no other cyclists on my route at the time.

Now, human decency would have prevented my from threading peds on crossings BUT I was treating red lights as advisory, jumping curbs and generally being a 'king hooligan.

When you are unfit, trying to maintain momentum on something made from recycled cathedrals and quite frankly haven't given the matter any consideration (and have nobody to to take direction from) then it seems reasonable.

Then I became a man, and put aside childish things.

Reason - I started to take an interest in cycling therefore started to ride with others, spend time on forums etc.
    I therefore suspect that a large percentage of the culprits do not in fact know any better as they've just started. ANd with the increase in first timers this is why the apparent percentage has perhaps increased?

Those who have been at it for a while and still behave like that are of course retards and culling them would increase the average intelligence of the human race - ofr at least it's pleasantness quotient.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • The other day I saw 6 cyclists on the way to work, 3 with lights 3 without. Funnily enough I see the same people every day on my route and they're absolutely ridiculous riding with no lights at half 6 of a morning, especially as 2 of them were dressed in black !
    Even today riding back from work a dimwit chav riding along the pavement came close to knocking me off my bike as he dropped onto the road right in front of me without so much as a glance, a total berk !

This is only this week as well, though surprisingly nobody has tried to kill me in a car so I'm happy :D
  • W1
    SimonAH wrote:
    I therefore suspect that a large percentage of the culprits do not in fact know any better as they've just started. ANd with the increase in first timers this is why the apparent percentage has perhaps increased?

Which is why those of us who do know better should set a decent example....
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Mattsaw wrote:

+ f*cking 1

Fake jonginge?! Is there really someone out there pretending to be Jon Ginge??
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • il_principe

He has a doppelgänger.
  • Headhuunter

He has a doppelgänger.

So good they made him twice!
  • il_principe

He has a doppelgänger.

nah, this is like evil jonginge.
  • Headhuunter

He has a doppelgänger.

nah, this is like evil jonginge.

May be it was Jon Ginge, mey be he has a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde thing going...
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    SecretSam wrote:
    Shoot them all, I say
    Nail some sense into them!
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Funnily enough I think this week was the 1st time I saw someone on a bike jump a read light - but a proper one - an intersection with traffic going both ways... that is fucking crazy. Pissed me off because I was stuck there for a good minute or two as well.