wildlife on your daily commute

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
i was really really lucky this morning, im not usually one for wildlife, but today i had to take a couple of pictures as im pretty sure what i spotted are quite rare

if im not mistaken this is the bandit-bike bird, rumour has it they ride off to somewhere quiet and spontaneous combust when they are ready to die....

IMG00126-20110201-0754.jpg

IMG00123-20110201-0753.jpg

i didnt know what this one was called but, it looks no more than a year or so old, poor thing looks like its been attacked by some feral foxes

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

so what wildlife do you normally see?

apologies for the shocking quality of the camera (ipod)
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I cycle along the New Kings Road
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • go though two parks so I see red/fallow deer, foxes, rats crows ducks, and other water birds.

oh and rabbits lots of rabbits.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    JonGinge wrote:

Them birds are exotic along there
  • Dolphins, seals, foxes, red kites (and other birds of prey), deer/stags, hundreds of rabbits, red squirrels, geese etc etc

I tried taking a picture of the fantastic sunrise this morning on my iPhone, too, but it's come out looking nothing like the real thing. If I remember, I'll Photoshop it into reality. Put it this way though, the shepherd is scared shitless...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    JZed wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Them birds are exotic along there

+1, especially in the Summer months
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Went to see a flat in South Hampstead last night. My commute to work would take me through London Zoo. Tempting...
  • Saw some lambs gambling this morning – internet betting has a lot to answer for.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • jzed
    notsoblue wrote:
    Went to see a flat in South Hampstead last night. My commute to work would take me through London Zoo. Tempting...

Thought you'd only just moved to Brick Lane - commute too short?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JZed wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Thought you'd only just moved to Brick Lane - commute too short?

Just flat sitting for a few months, not perm. And yeah, commute is far too short! Lots of potential SCR around Regent's Park by the way. The circuit seems to be a popular place for road training. Not quite the embankment though :(
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    JonGinge wrote:

There is usually a flock of Sloanes around there....
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    edited February 2011
    Saw three deer this morning and a gaggle muster of peahens

edit: added CORRECT collective noun :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Some builders on one of my projects on Fulham Road have noticed said Sloanes patrolling up and down, presumably trying to catch the eye of some eligible bachelor driver stuck in traffic.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Pheasents, foxes, a stoat (i think), barn owls, horses, swans in flight, the odd rat, not seen a deer yet but there is plenty of evidence that they are about.
  • Rats mainly, especially through Neasden after going under the north circular. Although I did see a tiny deer once along the banks of the river Brent.
    My legs really ache.
  • jzed
    I tend to come across pondlife every now and then.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    edited February 2011
    I got held up by sheep that clearly had no idea where they were going last week around a roundabout - just like cars most days

Last night coming up the Chute Causeway I had a small herd of Deer appear in the road before me. They all had a look and then one of them gave it large trying it on and racing along side me. Never afraid of a challenge I dropped a gear and rinsed the upstart big time. I bet his mates gave him some stick later :lol:

In the past I have been pecked by the bloody geese that think the road through Upavon belongs to them and no one else probably mates with the cocky deer
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Nik Cube wrote:
    Last night coming up the Chute Causeway I had a small herd of Deer appear in the road before me. They all had a look and then one of them gave it large trying it on and racing along side me. Never afraid of a challenge I dropped a gear and rinsed the upstart big time. I bet his mates gave him some stick later :lol:

Ignore them. Probably just some Stag do...
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    On my inner city commute I've come across a fox on a zebra crossing. When I first saw it I took it to be a dog and was looking for the owner but with no owner present and the reddish coat made me think it was a fox with the green cross code. I did see another leavin McDonalds which is a good indication of the quality of the catering available.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Nik Cube wrote:
    I got held up by sheep that clearly had no idea where they were going last week around a roundabout - just like cars most days

Perhaps they were doing a ewe turn?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    MTBers everywhere on my route.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    notsoblue wrote:

Rather fun seeing Giraffes first thing in the morning.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    pheasants, partidges, horses, sheep, ducks, swans, rabbits & kamikaze squirrels for me
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Nik Cube wrote:
    In the past I have been pecked by the bloody geese that think the road through Upavon belongs to them and no one else probably mates with the cocky deer

I've seen a gander that mates with a bucket but never a deer...