Why the f**k do drivers think you ride at 5mph all the time?

2»

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had a ped step out in front of me yesterday as I turned a corner and shouted out that I should signal, I did long before he stepped off the pavement. Trying to slow from 20+ mph for a corner with a sometimes wet drain cover mid apex, your signalling is done before you hit the anchors.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    I concur - if you can keep up with free flowing traffic it's probably far safer to sit in the middle of the lane so idiots don't try to overtake

If only that were true. I had one try to overtake whilst I was most definitely keeping up with (if I'm honest, tailgating) the van in front. There was no way he could get in front of me, so just sat there, half on the wrong side of the road. :roll:
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    Rolf F wrote:
    Camion wrote:
    It is embarassingly bright and railway workerish but it is bluddy high viz, although as you all say, not much use when the peds step out into the road THEN look or just don't look up from their Blackberry or Iphone as they don't hear an engine, just the low fizz of static coming from my waterproofs.

Some idiot lad just killed himself whilst texting - fell 7 floors off a multistory carpark. You just can't allow for that degree of idiocy. At least he managed to remove himself from the gene pool without affecting anyone else.

I feel the Darwin Awards will be an excellent event this year :lol:
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    pdw wrote:
    If only that were true. I had one try to overtake whilst I was most definitely keeping up with (if I'm honest, tailgating) the van in front. There was no way he could get in front of me, so just sat there, half on the wrong side of the road. :roll:

I get a certain sense of satisfaction just hearing them start the maneuver, getting somewhere to my right then realising they're not going to be able to complete it. Often they'll sit there like a ninny for a while before pulling back. Think it happens most often off ASL lines where they *really* don't want to get stuck behind a 'slow' cyclist.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had a van try and pass me approaching a traffic island. Heard the engine revs increase then a sceond or two later the squeal of tyres on the side of the kerb as he hit the kerb and a drop in engine revs and gear change. When there was space tpo pass safely the passenger was all mouth out of the window.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • It always amazes me how many motorists, when trying to get past you, suddenly realize they're having to travel at 45+ mph and cut across you.
    They would then rather take the cyclist out than lose they're drivers side wing mirror to a car passing in the opposite direction!!!
    2008 Giant Trance (own build)
    1996 Marin Mount Vision (from new)
    Ribble Carbon Sportive
    Dawes rigid hardtail (commuter)
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I once had a driver go the wrong side of a traffic island to get around me. She was suddenly faced with a car coming straight at her - I looked right as she looked left realising I was travelling at the same speed as her - utter panic in her eyes. I sped up for her so she could tuck in behind - I hope she learned a lesson.

The irony, of course, was we were about 200 yards from a junction so even if her manoeuvre had been a success it wouldn't have got her home any quicker.