Bike boxes available Munich, Frankfurt, Vienna airports?

Michael Falk
Michael Falk Posts: 169
edited February 2011 in Tour & expedition
Does someone know if bike boxes can be obtained at Munich, Frankfurt or Vienna airports?
I'm trying to choose an easy airport, bike-wise, to fly back to Australia after my Germany, etc. bike trip.

Has anyone had experience departing from one of these airports with their bicycle? Was it easy to ride to or get to the airport? Any other positives or negatives?

Thanks, Michael

Comments

• PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    Depends on the airline. I would check there.
    Sounds like it will be quite a long trip. In that case I'd just go by a bike store the day before and get one from them. They are usually happy to give you one for free since they get their new bikes delivered in them and just throw them away.
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • At a number of airports bicycle boxes can be bought at departures before customs. It is simply a service offered. Here, in Melbourne it is possible, Auckland in NZ it is possible & I managed to buy a box at Madrid's airport.
    Is this possible at one of the airports Frankfurt, Munich or Vienna?
    Getting a bike in a big box to an airport many kilometres away from where I'm staying can be quite a hassle, that's why I'm looking for this information.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Hopefully someone will come along who can give you an answer from direct experience - but otherwise (end excuse me if I'm stating the obvious or you've already tried) but you could contact the airport direct:

eg

http://www.munich-airport.de/en/general ... /index.jsp
  • Yes, I'm hoping to find someone who has used one of these airports & has first hand experience. I've emailed the 2 German airports but it is difficult to find what would be a relevant contact email address on their webpages to answer my query.
    I've found a blog (I can't remember it's web address) but a lot of the info is already a few years old.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    often they are sold by the airlines ..KLM seem to have them everywhere here in NL at least. Best try the airline rather than the airport and they you can just phone them...
  • Well I've bought my return ticket from Munich. I'll ask at some of the offices in Munich if they know whether there are boxes at thwe airport (I'll cetainly try Lufthansa) & see how it goes.
    The process of bicycle boxing & transport via aeroplane always annoys me!