Is there a British or ISO standard for road tyres?

TheDrunkMonk
TheDrunkMonk Posts: 181
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
I bet there isn't. I've had the misfortune to learn the hard way why we shouldn't "save" money by buying cheap tyres. It stings and costs you £60 in ripped bib tights.

Seriously, I bought a Rubino (er... non-pro) for my winter bike. Blinking lethal. I've ridden on Rubino Pros and Pro 3s for most of the time I've been cycling, (I don't race yet) and they've been absolutely fine. I bought this 'non-pro' Rubino as a back tyre. It didn't even want to grip the road riding in a straight line, scarily slipping sideways on the down stroke, first right hander I came to, I'm on me erse. It was just frightening, I'd steer well clear of them (though if you've already got a pair you probably won't be able to steer anywhere) Don't buy them unless you only ride at 8 mph, on dry roads, in straight lines, because even then they're a bit twitchy. I'm surprised they're legal and I'm surprised Vittoria would even put their name on them. I'm switching to a cork trye for improved grip and handling.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are you sure you weren't riding on sheet ice or something ? I cant see how it could slip in a straight line otherwise.
  • Hence my rant. It was a bit greasy out, but nothing that any tyre should worry about in a straight line. It was (is) so bad I was wondering if something has gone wrong in the manufacturing. Like I said I've ridden 80% on Rubino Pros/Pro 3s for 5 years, and I'm appalled at this tyre.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    There is an ISO standard for sizing and labelling (ISO 5575-1).

I dare say the tyre met that, or you wouldn't have been able to fit it!

Other than that, ifyou want grip, puncture resistance, longevity, cheapness etc then you just select a tyre to suit.
  • I've had Rubino Non-pros before, and have spat off by them on all but the driest conditions, but they were budget tyres - i picked them up for less than a tenner each so wasn't surprised they were poor
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • ceeque
    ceeque Posts: 52
    Bought some seriously cheap Rubino`s from the Velodrome cycle jumble sale for £7.50 each and been out in some seriously bad rainfall so was`nt pushing `em hard (14/15mph average) and they`ve been totally fine, no sense of any slipping and sliding noticed at all ... pretty damn pleased so far!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I've got a pair of rubino pro slick - absolutely lethal in the wet. These are a few years old so maybe they downgraded the old pro slick to the standard rubino - certainly sounds similar.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.