nutters on ebay

mattshrops
mattshrops Posts: 1,134
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
Ive just tried to buy an ultegra rear mech on ebay. People have gorn maad. £32 +£5 postage for a second hand 6600. you can buy it new from wiggle for 48- free postage :shock: dont know if its just the cycling gear but you have to watch a seriously large number of items to try to get a decent price-if then :roll:
Death or Glory- Just another Story

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Its gone bonkers, people bidding more than its worth. Mind you I just got a deda carbon stem for £4.49 inc postage. Nice.
  • I got given an ahead-of-publication book which, as I didn't want to keep it, got listed on ebay to sell a day or so after the publication date. By then you could go buy it in Sainsbury or Tesco at half price, but it went for almost double the cover price.
  • mattshrops
    worth putting the time in when you get a good one :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You knows it.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    EBay hasn't been good for bargains for quite some time now. Usually with a bit of Googling you can find what you're looking for cheaper from a proper shop.

I don't think it's entirely down to the sellers either, EBay and Paypal fees are extortionate
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Glad it's not just me. I've just bought a Boardman TC from halfords having finally given up looking for one of these second hand bargains everybody keeps going on about.
    In the week before I bought mine, two went on ebay for around £800-£900. I was happier paying the full grand knowing it 100% wasn't stolen and I have statutory rights.
    I looked at old 531 frames for a while but gave up on the crazy prices they were fetching too.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    It is crazy. I've seen people pay more second hand than what you could get a new one for, at the same time, on eBay!

That being said there are bargains in Europe on bikes. Italy been a happy hunting ground for me lately.
  • I've been looking for a bargain commuter, keep seeing 2010 models bought last year for £550 up for £400, etc, with bells & whistles about the bargain to be had, with Evans selling same model, new, £350. And Bromptons! I think I will buy a new one as an investment. Got my bargain bike off the classifieds on here in the end, v happy bunny with it.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    You get some stores on there selling kit cheap. I bought a MET Estro helmet for £45 P&P free

I saw some Castelli bibs on there which went for over £70 when the same can be had from Wiggle for £45.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I had built up a great stock of components mainly from MTB spares but a few road spares as well. A couple of the derailleurs went for £1.04 ie 1 bid above the starting 99p. So there are bargains to be had.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Stripping down my old Ribble and putting all the Campag parts on eBay soon - here's hoping there's a bidding frenzy!
  • Elio
    Elio Posts: 63
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    That being said there are bargains in Europe on bikes. Italy been a happy hunting ground for me lately.

Yup, got my NOS steel Bianchi frame there for 100 Euros :D Some good deals to be found on Italian ebay....
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I recently sold a SRAM Force groupset. A bidding war ensued in the last 5minutes & the final bid was higher than the BIN price...how's that work??
  • i sold a specialized saddle bag for £11.45 plus £2 p&p about a month ago

i got it for £9.99 from evans :lol:
  • mattshrops
    invincible wrote:
    i sold a specialized saddle bag for £11.45 plus £2 p&p about a month ago

i got it for £9.99 from evans :lol:

just ordered their entire stock :lol:
  • I've seen some crazy prices because buyers couldn't be arsed to search.

I've recent seen an item go for £33 + £3 p&p when if you searched the same item is £29 with free p&p as a buy it now!...OK, not a big deal, but it shows.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4