Poor Roads.

superbike
superbike Posts: 24
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
I was lucky enough to have a midweek day off so spent this afternoon having a long ride through my local roads in East Yorkshire, and what occured to me was how poorly the pot holed surfaces have been repaired. The holes seemed to be crudley filled with too much tarmac and not smoothed to match the existing level, and it seems quite random which holes get filled as inches away from repaired sections was untouched holes.

Now I think it would be more cost effective to resurface full sections of damaged roads resulting in roads that wont need any extra spent on them for years to come as opposed to a quick dodgy fix year after year or is this too simple?.

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I think the general principle is to botch some for as long as possible an then do a complete resurface.. these are the sacrifice to the majority of roads that get maintained as needed. It has been a bad winter as well.
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    you're lucky if they've made any attempt at a repair - they haven't round here.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • In fairness it as been one of the worst winters (well December and November) plus last Jan and Dec...
    They're just filling 'em in quickly to try and get them all done.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Our county council declared last week their intention over the next 5 years to have a "managed decline" of the roads they are responsible for as part of the spending cuts - I've got news for them: they've been declining for years, managed or not :roll:

I do have to say though that they are mostly better than neighbouring counties, some roads in East Northamptonshire are truly awful, Hertfordshire isn't far behind IMO
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    My road licence for my car has gone up twenty quid this year, perhaps they could spend maybe just a little of this, or the ever increasing fuel duty I pay when I fill up, on repairing the bloody awful roads... They are becoming 'third world' in some places round here now. They must spend out a fortune for squared alloys in compensation rather than sorting the holes in the first place.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    thats the real advantage of being here - just back for 100 km in a temperature of around 20 deg on amazing tarmac - can highly recommend it for winter training, there are even big hills if you fancy one
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    thats the real advantage of being here - just back for 100 km in a temperature of around 20 deg on amazing tarmac - can highly recommend it for winter training, there are even big hills if you fancy one
    The downside is that you support the abuse of foreign workers by going to Abu Dhabi.