Shared House Insurance and Bikes

sporting wood
sporting wood Posts: 62
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
I'm struggling to get what I'd call a sensible insurance quote for my bikes, I've got two bikes worth about 2.5k each but live in a shared house with a mate that we rent.

M&S will cover if I pay them £600, cycleguard and other bike specific companies all come out about £500 and I'm not sure where to turn next.

My post code isn 't horrific, it just seems to be the combination of shared house + high value bikes.

Does anyone have a similar experience and if so who are you using?

Cheers

Ed

Comments

• robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    I was under the impression that with m&s contents insurance you didn't have to individually name anything worth below 4k including bikes?

I had a quite for £25 per month for contents including accidental damage away from home ? Also if you were to leave the bike unattended it just had to be locked up with any lock and you didn't need the sas guarding it......
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Yes mine was around £25 per month from Barclays. Pretty similar deal to M&S i seem to remember.
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • M&S have quoted me about £550.

They're the only insurer that have actually confirmed they'll cover me. I may try Barclays and my bank and well and see what they say.

Seems like an excessive amount given that the bikes are always kept indoors. Like I said I've not got a bad post code but having said that I know Bristol is bad for bike theft in general.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bikes are phenomenally expensive to insure.

It's just how it is.

To be honest, if it was kept in the house, I'd save the money and take the risk...
  • Leeroy, thanks for mentioning Barclays.

They do shared houses if there two of you and for me, £5k of bikes and £10,000 of other insurance they're saying £160 which I'm very happy with.

Oh and the bikes are covered abroad, outside, etc. if they're locked.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I put mine on my house insurance at 1100, overall insurance including bike is 187 quid for this year. Bikes covered outside, in the house, if locked. I went with RAC after The Aviva Deal wasn' really a deal at £399! Which they took from my account anyway... (which I got back I might add).