When to Filter ?

ExcitingHat
ExcitingHat Posts: 12
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
I came up to a right turn only lane with about 5 cars queuing, I passed the cars on the left hand side of them, as i got past the first 2 cars the lights changed and cars started to move. I was then in an awkward position beside a car not really knowing whether i should try to keep pace next to it or hang back and jump infont of the car behind. It seemed wrong to cut infront of the car behind but not too safe to stay along side the car next to me.
What should i have done ?
Thanks

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    edited February 2011
    2 choices I'd say

1) Maintain your road position to the left of the car rather than changing position/speed. If you're positioned correctly, cars should still be able to pass you whilst you approach the junction, and when you turn right, make the turn sufficiently wide enough so you're not impeding the cars behind you.

2) If the junction is not sufficiently wide to execute the above safely, slot in and take primary position until you've made the turn, ignoring any beeping from the driver behind; or if they've been patient, give a little wave of appreciation once you turned.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    It depends... but you might consider letting the car alongside you go forwards while you indicate left (That's glance backwards and stick your arm out straight like you mean it, not wave your hand slightly left of your hip!) and then integrate back into the flow of traffic in front of the one behind. Make it clear that you are pulling in and that the driver must not undertake.
    They'll probably hoot their objection. Wave your thanks for their "forbearance" and let them go. You'll pass again and leave them behind at the next lights anyway...

Cheers,
    W.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Hi,
    It depends... but you might consider letting the car alongside you go forwards while you indicate left (That's glance backwards and stick your arm out straight like you mean it, not wave your hand slightly left of your hip!) and then integrate back into the flow of traffic in front of the one behind. Make it clear that you are pulling in and that the driver must not undertake.
    They'll probably hoot their objection. Wave your thanks for their "forbearance" and let them go. You'll pass again and leave them behind at the next lights anyway...

Cheers,
    W.

Think the OP is saying he was on the left already
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited February 2011
    Ok got it I think. I'd have gently dropped back from the car beside me as we got upto the apex of the bend holding my line and eye contact/nodding back to the following car to usher them past but give me a decent wide berth through the second part of the bend.

Or if not enough distance into the bend, then ride assertively towards primaryto keep the following car behind you until after the bend
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Personally, if there was only 5 cars waiting at the lights I don't think I would have bothered filtering. I would just have taken primary behind the last car.

Failing that filtered o the right if it was clear.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Personally, if there was only 5 cars waiting at the lights I don't think I would have bothered filtering. I would just have taken primary behind the last car.

I'd do that unless there was a long cue. If I filter too much in the gutter I get punctures. Cycle lanes are a rare luxury on my commute though so it would depend on the road and junction type.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Mattsaw wrote:

It's situational too. If the road is clear ahead then no point in passing the cars just to have them pass you again after the lights. Think of it as minimising the opportunities for some dozy twonk to attempt a dodgy overtake.

On the other hand, if I know the sequence is short or there is heavy traffic at the other side I'll tend to filter as far up as possible.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Kurako wrote:
    Mattsaw wrote:

It's situational too. If the road is clear ahead then no point in passing the cars just to have them pass you again after the lights. Think of it as minimising the opportunities for some dozy twonk to attempt a dodgy overtake.

On the other hand, if I know the sequence is short or there is heavy traffic at the other side I'll tend to filter as far up as possible.

This is how I pretty much do it myself.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    When you see the lights change you would be moving past stationary cars, hold your position in the road and as the cars accelerate just adjust your speed to slot in between two cars as they move off and carry on with them. I've only ever had a problem once doing this, but that was because the car in front of me crashed into the back of the car in front of him so I had to swerve to avoid hitting the back of the car. Woke me up anyway.