Interesting Police Take

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
So I was speaking today with my local police inspector about driving standards and how I felt I'd been at risk of harm by some shocking driving. His suggestion was that I should seriously consider my mode of transport. What a bizarre response!

He said he was focusing his resource on speeding and motorbikes deaths. In relation to motorbikes he said that there had been 19 deaths in the last 2 years and only 2 cyclists (who had apparently brought their deaths on themselves or so he said). I did challenge him to tell me why he wasn't advising motorcyclists to consider other forms of transport if it was so dangerous. I didn't get an answer.

He did agree to investigate getting some cycle-friendly messages put on the matrix signs that Traffic Scotland operate up here.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Disappointing, but I'm not shocked or surprised.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    So I was speaking today with my local police inspector about driving standards and how I felt I'd been at risk of harm by some shocking driving. His suggestion was that I should seriously consider my mode of transport.

Maybe we should make the Police swap their cars for bikes, that might change their ideas. I suspect it's a long time since most of them did any pedalling.

There was a good letter in the Inverness papers about how dangerous it is to cycle to the retail park lately. All planned with no consideration for cyclists.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    "if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up"

Current thrusts that he's being measured on would, I guess, be speeding reduction and Motorcycle awareness. On that basis he will not give a green turd about anything else.

Welcome to the modern police force.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Maybe we should make the Police swap their cars for bikes, that might change their ideas. I suspect it's a long time since most of them did any pedalling.

in the summer there a few police on mountain bikes who patrol on the trans penine track that i use to commute on. ok they are generally fat oaf's but it seems to keep the riff raff off the track. you can spot them a mile away, shiny white bike with police on the down tube an they all seem to wear white polo shirts?!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    To be fair - the Policeman is probably a bit sick of cyclists moaning about shocking driving :-)

His task was focused on motorcycles, not bicycles, probably why you got a cold shoulder......

Yes, motorcycles are deadly....in the wrong hands.
  • ...but in the right hands...!

Polis in Edinburgh use bicycles quite a lot, at least when the weather's ok.
    Unwashed (but well-lubricated) fixed thing, jeans, DMs - FCN 7(?)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've heard a similar sentiment from paramedics. "Cyclists only ever get hurt when they've done something wrong. If they get hit it's their own fault" seemed to be the general feeling.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    bails87 wrote:
    I've heard a similar sentiment from paramedics. "Cyclists only ever get hurt when they've done something wrong. If they get hit it's their own fault" seemed to be the general feeling.

"They were in the middle of the road!"
    "She came from nowhere!"

*sigh*

I think the only way this will improve in our favour is if automatic motor vehicle liability is brought in, or by there simply being more cyclists on the road. I was riding through Clerkenwell last night on an errand and there were more bikes than other motor vehicles on the road at around 6-7pm. The cars there had no choice but to take notice and drive carefully.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    notsoblue wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

"They were in the middle of the road!"
    "She came from nowhere!"

Yeah, I suppose it's hard to get a balanced view of what happened when one party is being resuscitated.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • City of London operate a "cycle patrol team" , I see them quite a bit in the city. Good idea, I'm always hoping a motorist cuts them up and then for justice to be done by the cycle copper
    linky

cyclesquadteam2010.jpg
  • The frustration of priority based policing. Get used to it as cuts bite and we all get to elect our police leaders - will need to pander to the populist to get/stay elected. I really don't think us lot will be much of a voice vs neighbourhood concerns, youth prejudice, the pro car & anti motorbike lobbies.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    ...but in the right hands...!

Polis in Edinburgh use bicycles quite a lot, at least when the weather's ok.
    There are cycling police HQ'd near here as well, same station as the car cops actually. And cycling fire officers (the community laison ones) as well.
  • City of London operate a "cycle patrol team" , I see them quite a bit in the city. Good idea, I'm always hoping a motorist cuts them up and then for justice to be done by the cycle copper
    linky

cyclesquadteam2010.jpg

Why do police bikes ALWAYS have front suspension? Surely they would get about quicker on a rigid fork in the City.
  • Chadders81 wrote:
    City of London operate a "cycle patrol team" , I see them quite a bit in the city. Good idea, I'm always hoping a motorist cuts them up and then for justice to be done by the cycle copper
    linky

cyclesquadteam2010.jpg

Why do police bikes ALWAYS have front suspension? Surely they would get about quicker on a rigid fork in the City.

Riding down stairs etc while chasing suspects- was talking to a copper not too long ago about the training they go through and it's far from just speed work through traffic! One even allegedly threw his bike down a set of stairs to catch a suspect but i reckon that's a load of bull****
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • Chadders81 wrote:
    I've never seen bike cops rushing anywhere - they cruise around slowly, maintaining a "presence". Front suspension probably comes in handy descending stairs.
  • snailracer wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:
    I've never seen bike cops rushing anywhere - they cruise around slowly, maintaining a "presence". Front suspension probably comes in handy descending stairs.

only see the Police community support officers around these parts who have a habit of riding on their insteps, on footpaths etc, rather than the trained police lot.
  • Police bikes are ATB because like most they think they are the right tool for the job. Have pushed Hybrids and believe it or not single speeds before to local forces and meet resistance from usually some big fella who is stuck behind a desk and probably has done no exercise for 10 years.

They never ride them down stairs.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    City of London operate a "cycle patrol team" , I see them quite a bit in the city. Good idea, I'm always hoping a motorist cuts them up and then for justice to be done by the cycle copper
    linky

cyclesquadteam2010.jpg

Couple of lardy looking f*uckers in that pic.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Police bikes are ATB because like most they think they are the right tool for the job. Have pushed Hybrids and believe it or not single speeds before to local forces and meet resistance from usually some big fella who is stuck behind a desk and probably has done no exercise for 10 years.

I think this has been posted before, but it makes for an interesting read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/g ... e-training

London-Police-Get-On-Thei-001.jpg

To be fair to the police, I doubt they'd be more effective on hybrids or racers in London anyway. Its not like they're chasing down criminals riding Pinarellos.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Couple of lardy looking f*uckers in that pic.

It's the body armour, must be fun cycling in it.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Indeed. Bet it's a bit ripe after a shift in mid summer temperatures - is kevlar machine washable?.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Police bikes are ATB because like most they think they are the right tool for the job. Have pushed Hybrids and believe it or not single speeds before to local forces and meet resistance from usually some big fella who is stuck behind a desk and probably has done no exercise for 10 years.

When I ran a couple of courses for local PCSOs, one of the requirements was to learn to do so. And we used some of the steps used by local scallies to get away from foot or patrol car bobbies.

See http://www.ipmba.org/ for some of the details of the official police cycle training programme also used in the UK (excluding firearm training and cycling, natch)

As for them riding round at slow speed, what does anyone think they should do? No-one criticises foot patrols for not dashing round like Seb Coe. they're "showing the flag", getting to meet locals (all bike coppers say they get more interaction with the public than even the foot patrol boys/girls
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    I know a lad who is a copper up north. He rides most days at work and has had some good results, the quiet approach (as opposed to a diesel!) is better for sneaking up on scroats in the wee small hours.

The more I see out on bikes the better as far as I'm concerned.
  • So I was speaking today with my local police inspector about driving standards and how I felt I'd been at risk of harm by some shocking driving. His suggestion was that I should seriously consider my mode of transport. What a bizarre response!

He said he was focusing his resource on speeding and motorbikes deaths. In relation to motorbikes he said that there had been 19 deaths in the last 2 years and only 2 cyclists (who had apparently brought their deaths on themselves or so he said). I did challenge him to tell me why he wasn't advising motorcyclists to consider other forms of transport if it was so dangerous. I didn't get an answer.

He did agree to investigate getting some cycle-friendly messages put on the matrix signs that Traffic Scotland operate up here.

Disgusted, but not shocked. I learned a while ago that these people are not our friends! Some of them do cycle, though.
  • Disgusted, but not shocked. I learned a while ago that these people are not our friends! Some of them do cycle, though.

the inspector apparently rides but not far.

I told him I was going to be using a helmet cam (I'm getting a GoPro Hero 1080p Wide for motorsport TV use) - he didn't seem very happy about that!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH