Free antivirus scan/destroyer for windows?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited February 2011 in The hub
Can anyone recommend the above please?

i know there are a few about, I just need 1 that will run its self once a month and kill any viruses.

Taa,
Ben

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Microsoft security essentials
    Truth be told, it's better than almost all commercial ones, and it's free, for life.
  • Microsoft security essentials
    Truth be told, it's better than almost all commercial ones, and it's free, for life.

what he said
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Microsoft security essentials

does the job, I myself prefer AVG, you can also download avg pc tuner which will also comes with defrag tools etc and a utility to tune your broadband connection as well.

also pretty easy to get hold of a commmercial key that lasts forever (or 3 years)
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Anonymous
    AVG is a load of crap though, honestly. I've had to clean out a ton of machines where AVG spotted nothing.
    And the defrag etc nonsense is just... well, nonsense. Since vista, that stuff really isn't necessary, it self-maintains, and actually does a pretty damned good job.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    MSE will do you if you're sensible, it's a better option than most and it's slick running with little overhead. AVG is the chocolate fire-guard of the free anti virus world. AntiVir being the most effective at detection and clean proper removal.

No product being anywhere near perfect, but then how could they be. Smart web surfing is the most effective and best protection you can apply.

nice one taa.... not for me obviously, wouldn't see me on a windows based PC!
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Avast is a good'n.

This ^^

I also run (for periodical malware cleanup)

Malware Bytes

Brilliant, and my PC is running better than it has ever done,
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    avast home edition. and common sense 2011 pro.
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    Used to use Avg then i had a trojan that it didn't see.
    Have used Avast for some time now with no problems
    Nicolai CC
  • Install Ubuntu Linux on a partition and use that for your general net browsing/e-mail/word processing duties.

I only use Windows 7 when I have to.
  • Anonymous
    Install Ubuntu Linux on a partition and use that for your general net browsing/e-mail/word processing duties.

I only use Windows 7 when I have to.
    wow, you're like SOOOOO awesome. I wish I could have your kids.
  • ive been using avast and i havent had any problems

that could be cause its not finding any virus's etc, or could be cause its working? im not sure,
  • blister pus
    Avast is only marginally better than AVG at detection and clean removal and that's crap in the grand scheme of things.

Truth is, the longer people use computers and the web their surfing and habits become more defined and dialled into specifically what they do, they tend to wander less, make fewer dumb decisions and read and understand what's in front of them more. All of which reduces malware exposure risk. It's got bugger all to do with the anti virus / malware package they have on.

The only time you can truly evaluate the true effectiveness of a package is when it comes to real world detection and real world clean removal of malware. AVG and Avast do not excel at either and I have to use AntiVir and other tools to do a job properly the majority of the time.
  • Anonymous
    AntiVir is very good, but I didn;t like the fact you had to remember to maintain it (mostly)
    MSE will just sit there happily and do everything it needs to, unguided.
  • MSE got rid of the virus :)
  • blister pus
    AntiVir is very good, but I didn;t like the fact you had to remember to maintain it (mostly)
    MSE will just sit there happily and do everything it needs to, unguided.

you just set it up right and it runs like any other but it's not the clearest layout by any means and that's even after they redid the UI, the earlier versions were comic book stuff. but it's second to only a couple of expensive pay for options for detection and clean removal.
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, must have changed since I tried it then. The free version had a nag screen back then, and it would need user intervention every now and again.
    Very VERY good scanner though.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Get hold of an old freebie laptop make sure the windows anti virus is switched on and updated. Then just use it for browsing with no personal details. Any crap you pick up just ignore it till it gets irritating then bosh it with the reboot disc every now and then.

Seems to work with me.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    stubs wrote:
    Get hold of an old freebie laptop make sure the windows anti virus is switched on and updated. Then just use it for browsing with no personal details. Any crap you pick up just ignore it till it gets irritating then bosh it with the reboot disc every now and then.

Seems to work with me.
    Stupid suggestion. And what exactly is "the windows anti virus"?
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:

Seems to work with me.
    Stupid suggestion. And what exactly is "the windows anti virus"?

I dont know the thing that comes with windows that stops (or slows) crap building up on your laptop. Its free it works I could care less whats not to like.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    There isn't one that comes with windows. If they did that they'd be in a whole heap of legal sh1t
  • stubs
    There isn't one that comes with windows. If they did that they'd be in a whole heap of legal sh1t

Well whatever its called it came with the laptop and its made by microsoft.

Point I made is still valid get hold of a free laptop (mine was heading for a skip) run any old shite free software, keep personal details off it, only use a dummy email account and it doesnt matter what you pick up off the web you only need to worry about it when it starts slowing down your browsing. Then run the reboot disc and your good for a few more months browsing. Cheap safe as houses and good for the environment because your stopping an old but still useable bunch of electronics being buried in landfill.
  • Anonymous
    Oh, I'd love to see the depravity on your "freebie" laptop. Sounds like the kind of thing the police, or even the FBI might be interested in too. :shock:
  • stubs
    :lol: Most depraved thing on my laptop is a bootleg PC version of Angry Birds.

Not as good as the Apple or Android version if anyones thinking of wasting the money, dont know how they managed it but they have turned a fun easy to use game into something dull and clunky.

Anyway since a customer gave me an ARCHOS 16 gig tablet to play with dont use the laptop much apart from watching skysports or iPlayer.