My bottom.....

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited February 2011 in The workshop
bracket might be a bit loose, or broken?

My CX has done 200 miles and when I took it out the other day there seems to be a little give when I push the pedal. Could it be that the crank is just a little loose? Why so soon after so few miles?

I'm thinking I need to take it back to the shop and get them to have a look at it.
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Great way to get your thread read!

What type of BB is it? Square taper cranks can work loose easily, if not seated properly.

If you are working the pedal you have potential play in the pedal bearings as well as the BB ones. Try & isolate the wobble- does the pedal wobble on the crank, the crank on the axle, the axle on the bearings, the bearings in the BB shell or even (eek!) the BB shell in the frame?

Cheers,
    W.
  • linsen
    Most likely the crank on the axle I think. Left side, again, I think.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    linsen wrote:

If square-taper BB then you should just need to tighten it up.

Don't delay, as the wobbling can damage the mating faces on the crank, leading to recurring problems.

Cheers,
    W.
  • linsen
    linsen wrote:

If square-taper BB then you should just need to tighten it up.

Don't delay, as the wobbling can damage the mating faces on the crank, leading to recurring problems.

Cheers,
    W.
    #

Ta for that. I think what I really need to do is take it to the bike shop where I bought it and flutter my eyelashes.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    linsen wrote:
    [Ta for that. I think what I really need to do is take it to the bike shop where I bought it and flutter my eyelashes.
    Huh!

What do you want us to say ?
    Swiss Tony wrote:
    The problem is that your bottom bracket needs a lot more lubrication

Do what he said. Do not ride the bike.
    l Don't delay, as the wobbling can damage the mating faces on the crank, eading to recurring problems.
    You've probably got the tools, in that funny bag that you had under your saddle on club runs.

While you're at it, you could fix your back lights, so that road users can see them, not just low flying aircraft!

MTFU Linsen!

It's good to hear that you're back.
  • linsen
    jejv wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    [Ta for that. I think what I really need to do is take it to the bike shop where I bought it and flutter my eyelashes.
    Huh!

What do you want us to say ?
    Swiss Tony wrote:
    The problem is that your bottom bracket needs a lot more lubrication

Do what he said. Do not ride the bike.
    l Don't delay, as the wobbling can damage the mating faces on the crank, eading to recurring problems.
    You've probably got the tools, in that funny bag that you had under your saddle on club runs.

While you're at it, you could fix your back lights, so that road users can see them, not just low flying aircraft!

MTFU Linsen!

It's good to hear that you're back.

I'll have you know that I am extremely well illuminated at the rear. As for a club run, you've got me thinking I ought to get on and do another few of those.