Thinking about a hybrid

gs_triumph
gs_triumph Posts: 9
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
Hi,

Last year i started cycling to work on my Carerra Kraken. The first few trips were done on knobbly tyres but i quickly switched to semi-slicks with a lower profile and what a difference. Having managed to commute by bike about 15 times last year (it is 16 miles each way) i have decided i would liket o do it more often.

I have moved house so am now 'only' around 13.5 miles to work. As i intend on doing it more often i would like to get a biike better suited to the job. i am considering a Ridgeback Velocity.

Main point being is that the 700c wheels should be better suited to my on-road commute and i can put my knobblys back on my kraken so i can get back to some off road antics at the weekends.

i realise that the Velocity is a lower end hybird but i have the opportunity to buy one second hand for nearly half price of a new one. will it be up to the task?

Comments

• i should probably mention that the reason i am considering a hybrid over a road bike is that i have the otion of usioning a cnal path!

also, the velocity is around 1.5kg lighter than my current bike. how noticable wouls usch a weight drop be?
  • If you have a particularly good deal on the Velocity then go for it. That way you won't lose money when you inevitably decide to sell it on for something better in a couple of months time.

You have to buy the bike for the conditions you experience, but if my commute was as long as yours I would be looking for something light, comfortable and fast.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    My small contribution: Current bike helps develop leg strength which comes in handy if/when you join the SCR community :twisted:
  • Not everyone uses a road bike to commute, my MBT hybrid is just what I want and will not change it, £1600 though.

http://sirpatrickmooresales.co.uk/Ourpage.aspx

Been upgraded again since with shimano SLX crankset and good bashguard

I am more than happy doing 20mph, getting somewhere three minutes sooner is of NO interest to me
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If you want something road-shaped with mild off-road capability then you could also consider a 2nd hand CX bike, although they have been becoming more fashionable over the last few years. Drop bars really do help if you want to get out of the wind.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I would second going for a cross bike to commute... will handle canal paths easily and you will be noticably easier/quicker for your commute than an MTB
  • +1 more for CX, i ride both hybrid & cx, both rugged for trails etc hybrid more comfy, cx faster. Hand position and comfort no great difference, a lot spoken abt the comfort benefits of drops, not really noticed myself with moustache bars on hybrid.
  • Thanks,

I am still considering the velocity but keeping an eye out for others for sale in the area.

is there any reason i couldn't/shouldn't put drop bars on the velocity if i decided to go down that route?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    gs_triumph wrote:
    is there any reason i couldn't/shouldn't put drop bars on the velocity if i decided to go down that route?

Other than the expense, no.

New Set of bars, cables (outer & inner), shifters + the frames geometry may lead you to messing around with different sets of stems until you hit on the right length.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Except to say that many Hybrids have a longer top tube (for the frame size) than road bikes to make it more 'relaxed', so you may need a short stem which then sharpens the steering.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.