yoohoo999
yoohoo999 Posts: 940
edited March 2011 in Your mountain bikes

Comments

• Lovely frame! I'd avoid going too white though, so i'd pop on a set of red boxxers...

I'd say the race face sixC cranks over the saints, but the rest of the go stuff saint.

Formula brakes

Renthal bars

Point one racing stem and pedals

thomson masterpiece

for the wheels i'd probably go for industry nine hubs, sapim cx-rays, brass nipples and the enve carbon rims :wink:
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Boxxer Races, All Saint drivetrain, Deemax or Crankbro Cobalt wheels, Straitline pedals, Renthal bars/stem.

I'd go for some bright wheels, and keep the rest black/white.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Awesome! Gonna watch this thread with great interest and great envy!!

Saint is deffo a good way to go! I love all my Saint stuff! worth every penny, and properly built for punishment.

Id go for Boxxers, Ive heard the FOX's are very race bred and whilst are very good forks they need lots & lots of maintenance.

White frame, red forks, red pedals and red/black saddle. then maybe a few gold blingy bits (seatclamp/headset spacers/hubs etc) to tie in the Saint bits.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Surely a Shocker should have a pink & brown colour scheme?
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    mrfmilo wrote:
    Boxxer Races, All Saint drivetrain, Deemax or Crankbro Cobalt wheels, Straitline pedals, Renthal bars/stem.

I'd go for some bright wheels, and keep the rest black/white.

good call's.... black or white boxxers are a must.

lovely frame BTW...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Not a big fan of DH bikes (living in possibly the flatest part of the country!) but VERY keen to see this build complete....Lovely frame man!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Surely a Shocker should have a pink & brown colour scheme?

and a set of those sombrio gloves to match!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Just bought some heli tape (more because i'm bricking it about damaging the frame when i'm building it up than when riding it! Those who have had their hand slip when tightening cranks will know where I'm coming from! :roll: )

Good call on the Boxxers guys. Going to hunt out some black/white Teams or some red WC's.

Extremely good call on the Cobalts. But only if I can find a set 2nd hand. I would be too scared to ride a DH bike with £700 wheels in case I got mud on them :oops:

I've been toying with the idea of some RaceFace Diabolus cranks (had some on my last DH bike), they are SUPER stiff, but weigh a ton and the BB is utter tripe (made of cheese).

Soooo, perhaps the RaceFace Atlas would be a good compromise, still stiff, bit lighter, look amazing, loads of colours......and cheaper so would leave cash for a decent BB upgrade.

However, I still LOVE the look of the new style Saint cranks. I'll maybe leave the crankset until I know what the other colours will be, since the choice in Atlas colours may swing it.
  • mrfmilo
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    Good call on the Boxxers guys. Going to hunt out some black/white Teams or some red WC's.

I've been toying with the idea of some RaceFace Diabolus cranks (had some on my last DH bike), they are SUPER stiff, but weigh a ton and the BB is utter tripe (made of cheese).

Soooo, perhaps the RaceFace Atlas would be a good compromise, still stiff, bit lighter, look amazing, loads of colours......and cheaper so would leave cash for a decent BB upgrade.

However, I still LOVE the look of the new style Saint cranks. I'll maybe leave the crankset until I know what the other colours will be, since the choice in Atlas colours may swing it.

If you don't want loads of maintenance, don't go for the WC's.

I also wouldn't go for the Diabolous, for less you can get Saints which are lighter, looks better and has the obvious far better BB. Or yeah, Atlas FR if you can afford them :)

Just look at it, nomnom:

Groupset-670-75.jpg
  • dear lord, it is sexy :shock:

I never tire of looking at Saint kit. Sometimes I almost go over my bars because I'm trying to get a better look at my brake levers as I'm thundering down a trail ;)
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    very nice.

defenintly go for saint kit
  • *AJ*
    +1 for the love of the saint stuff!!

as for crank colours, you can always customise the saint ones, like i did.....

p4pb6068461.jpg
  • those crank protectors are awesome.

i've had problems in the past with Slik though. Can't begin to count how many emails I sent asking for custom stuff to be done and never got a single reply. Total useless customer service. It appears I'm not the only one, there are lots of threads about it.

I'm still really torn on the fork choice. It's definitely the most important decision (after the frame I suppose) and there are only 2 real contenders in my mind, but I just can't seem to decide!

2010 Boxxer Teams - the white/black colour scheme would look awesome with the frame. They are cheapish, easier to maintain, require less regular maintenance and are a little bit lighter. They will also accept those pimp new Hope crown/stems!

2009/2010 Fox 40RC2 - white, but I could easily stick some new stickers on the lowers to liven them up. They really are sooo much stiffer than the Teams. I rode both forks back to back last year and I wasn't even pinning it, but through really rocky/rooty sections I defintely felt that 40's were more solid and tracked better. Could have been in my mind, but I doubt it. Those 40mm stanchions would carry on the whole "this bike will survive a nuclear disaster" look :) But, they are more expensive, trickier to maintain, need more regular loving and weigh a bit more.

I must admit, I'm kind swaying towards the 40's unless I can get a great deal on the Teams.
  • *AJ*
    Just from what youve said it sounds like youve decided on the 40's, and for good reason too!
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    to throw another fork in

the bod idylle

http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product/980

i know there a bit expensive but ring these gus up they should be able to sort out a good deal
    http://www.bikeactive.com/

it better to ring them as there website does not have all the stock on and best prices or check them out on facebook
  • mrfmilo
    Boxxers!
  • As much as I would love some BOS forks, this is a part of the build that I'm going to hunt something out 2nd hand, and those are like rocking horse poo poo on the used market.

The thing is, if I buy say some Fox 40's new, that's £1,200. Whereas I can get a good set 2nd hand for £500-600, stick them into mojo for a service and off we go.

That saved £600ish will cover the cost of a lot of the rest of the kit I need.

I know most people would say that this frame is massively overpriced, but the design hasn't changed since it's birth in 2006, and it's a proven steed, regularly coming up as best DH bike in test and race results..........so I don't mind the initial outlay on something I'm not going to feel like I need/want to change in a year or so. It's quite cool looking at the frame in MTB videos from years ago and it's the same except for a colour change :)

But forks on the other hand......when you buy new, you take a MASSIVE hit trying to get rid of them in even 6-12 months. Buying new DH forks is just dead money unless you keep them for years, which I don't.
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    edited February 2011
    hmmmm, just spotted some VERY nice DT/Saint wheels with gold nipples....................
  • mrfmilo
    Very nice, huge bargain :D Why weren't they up at christmas :cry::lol:
  • *AJ*
    Gold nipples look awesome! very nice little touch!

As you said, will complement the Saint stuff!
  • Could run them tubeless too. Save's a 1lb or so and means some lovely squishy pressures!
  • OK, just got off the phone to All Terrain Cycles. Have ordered, and will be delivered on Monday:

DT SWISS EX500 RIMS BUILT ONTO SHIMANO M810 CENTRE LOCK HUBS

20MM BOLT THRU FRONT, 12MM BOLT THU REAR - 150MM

BOTH WHEELS 32H

GOLD NIPPLES

203/180 SHIMANO SAINT CENTRE LOCK ROTORS
  • right, i'm pretty much sold on these as forks, 2010 Boxxer Teams, keeps the main colours simple and then I can just pimp it up with little touches like Hope integrated stem, pedals, bars etc.

I like the look of white Shockers with white forks, looks lean and sleek.

RockShoxBoxxerTeam2010weiss.jpg
  • woop woop! 8)

Limited Edition DT Dwiss EX500 on Saints with Saint rotors arrived today!

Gold nipples and gold lockrings. Kinky

Thanks All Terrain Cycles!!!!! :):)

IMG_2006.jpg
    IMG_2003-1.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2001.jpg
  • because your rotors aren't big........ LOL :lol: btw nice wheels :)
  • ha ha, true! Mexican Hat Rotors

To be fair, they are going to be stopping a fair old lump of metal travelling far too fast with a rider completely out of his depth :);)
  • 203mm?
  • yeah 203mm and 180mm on the rear. they just look bigger because there's no tyres on the rims :)

Which brings me to my next and very personal decision....tyres.

I'm thinking tubeless.

Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5", fronts on both wheels.

Opinions?
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    picture doesn't work for me :(

yes, defenintly go for minions, best all round downhill tyres out there(in my opinion).

i like a minion on the front and a high roller on the back in the dry(even both high rolller) and for very wet times, wet screams. it's good to have different tyres for different conditions. but if your not bothered about that, then minions are the best choice

also i wouldn't have gone for ex500s. dt swiss are quite a soft metal rim. not my first choice tbh. as long as they have been built well and you don't do massive hucks you should be fine, but don't be suprised if you get a lot of dings and bent rims :P

and finally what are the plans for the rest of the parts :)