good routes in the Leek area

ginger1
ginger1 Posts: 94
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
I'm in Leek for a few days at the end of next week and plan to get out for a couple of rides - anyone recommend me some good routes? Probably 50 miles or so, with some nice hills (nothing obscenely steep please) and some nice views. And throw in a couple of pubs whilst you are at it.

cheers for now.

Comments

• Try this site

http://www.mapmyride.com

On the tool bar, go to "Routes", then "Search Routes"

It's an international site, so make sure you type in Leek, UK in the search box, otherwise you get some obscure places come up!
  • My sister lives in Leek and I love going out cycling round there, but there are a lot of hills!!! I like to head out East through Thorncliff but that has a killer hill, but i've done it with a 39x25 with a little break in middle (when I was overweight - don't get much hill training in cambridgeshire) then you can head down towards the manifold valley. Head round to Buxton and back to Leek. Or if you fancy you can involve the Cat and Fiddle up over Macclesfield way. Head South towards Stone/Uttoxeter direction for a flatter ride - but it's a bit more built up. Pretty much all of last years Stoke-on-Trent Tour of Britain stage was set in that area, so you can treat yourself bits of the route the pro's did. Enjoy
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    There are some cracking rides around Leek.

Can I suggest you drop south through Cheddleton to Ipstones taking in Ipstones Edge from here to Waterhouses to pick up the Manifold Trail to Hulme End. Use the B5053 through Longnor taking a right through the village centre to Crowdecote (great hill). Over the A515 for the B5055 into Bakewell. From Bakewell through Hassop, Calver across the A623 to Hathersage (back routes). This is a great ride! Some great descents and ascents here. From here to Castleton and up to Sparrowpit then A6 to Buxton (or minor roads). You could wing it back to Leek on the A53 which is a cracking route, anyway or trace through some of the back routes.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Here is one route that I do reasonably often that cuts through Leek. Its basically a circuit around the edge of Stoke, there are plenty of hills, but nothing seriously steep like you might find in the Peaks and you get some restbite through the edge of Cheshire which is as flat as any county could be. Most of the route is on quiet lanes or cuts through small towns and villages with plenty of decent scenery too. You should be able to tweak it to start and finish in Leek and get 50 miles in.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/r_-lW25epTI