Dilema

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I work in the centre of a large central Scotiish town on the west side of the central belt, lets call it Weedgie. I commute by bike and love the time dedicated to myself, because as soon as I leave the office it is my cycle time, same on way in, there is in fact no commuting time.

My work are transferring the office to a large town in the East, lets call it Auld Reekie.

This will entail a near 2 hour double train journey and mile or so walk for me to reach the new office. This will be each way. I will obviously loose my cycle time, and after that kind of commute each and every day I would no doubt not be in the right frame of mind to cycle anywhere near as much as now.

It may be 1.5 hours each way if I drive part way and take train, but would not wish to leave my soon to be urchased camper van in this station, it has a bad reputation.

Do any of you lawyer/HR types out there have any suggestions, can they force me to move, play hardball?
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Are they compensating you for the increased travel time/cost? Doesn't help the cycling situation I know but a valid point nonetheless.
  • Wallace1492
    kelsen wrote:
    Are they compensating you for the increased travel time/cost? Doesn't help the cycling situation I know but a valid point nonetheless.

They will pay any increased travel costs (actual cost only) for 12 months. It ceases after that. No offer thus far of compensating for time, however, money is not really a motovating factor for me, as my work/life balance is of far more importance.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    can you get off the train at linlithgow or thereabouts and cyclebikeride the rest of the way into embruff?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Wallace1492
    cee wrote:
    can you get off the train at linlithgow or thereabouts and cyclebikeride the rest of the way into embruff?

Not an option. Mean booking bike on train each day, what a palavor. Anyway by Linlithgow it would be 2 trains.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Doesn't look like you have many options. Short of looking for a new job or relocating, might just have to suck it up and look forward to rides in the weekend instead.

A folding bike for part of the journey could be a solution, but I imagine it'll be a bit of a faff, and folders are a rarity up there IIRC.
  • Wallace1492
    kelsen wrote:
    Doesn't look like you have many options. Short of looking for a new job or relocating, might just have to suck it up and look forward to rides in the weekend instead.

A folding bike for part of the journey could be a solution, but I imagine it'll be a bit of a faff, and folders are a rarity up there IIRC.

Only other option is VR.... but not sure if they will be willing to do this, that is the question.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    This is a no-brainer- Move to Edinburgh, or at least nearby.

Plusses: No more Maryhill road, you now live near Edinburgh, you can pick your commute as part of moving

Minusses: Moving is a hassle.

Other factors: You might get relocation package? Do you have kids at an excellent state school near your current house? Partner with job in GL^H^HWeedgie?

I mean.. why wouldn't you?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Wallace1492
    Hi,

Plusses: No more Maryhill road, you now live near Edinburgh, you can pick your commute as part of moving

Other factors: You might get relocation package? Do you have kids at an excellent state school near your current house? Partner with job in GL^H^HWeedgie?

Cheers,
    W.

Maybe for consideration if you really loved your job, and felt you were part of a valued future. If you felt the organisation that you worked for really cared about you and your future, and just as importantly had not been partly to blame for the biggest slump since the 1930's.

Maybe also for consideration if you were not bothered where you lived and the money is king. If however your main concern is your work/life balance and being happy, especially in your work, then it is a no brainer.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,

Cheers,
    W.

Maybe for consideration if you really loved your job, and felt you were part of a valued future. If you felt the organisation that you worked for really cared about you and your future, and just as importantly had not been partly to blame for the biggest slump since the 1930's.

Maybe also for consideration if you were not bothered where you lived and the money is king. If however your main concern is your work/life balance and being happy, especially in your work, then it is a no brainer.

You are surely missing the key point- you have the opportunity to relocate to Edinburgh... that alone will improve the quality of your life beyond all reasonable measure!

(The original post was tongue-in-cheek, sorry if that wasn't obvious...)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Wallace1492
    Hi,

Cheers,
    W.

You are surely missing the key point- you have the opportunity to relocate to Edinburgh... that alone will improve the quality of your life beyond all reasonable measure!

(The original post was tongue-in-cheek, sorry if that wasn't obvious...)

Cheers,
    W.

Of course I know it was tongue in cheek, who in their right minds would favour the East over the West! Anyway looks like my Maryhill Road escapdes may be coming to an end after the summer, but you never know..... new opportunities and all that.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Look for a new job. There someone said it.

If you're not all that fond of your job just now you're going to absolutely hate it when you have to commute across half the country every day. And that can lead you to a very bad place (believe me :()

My advice, start looking for something else just now. Something that will keep the bills paid but also keep you happy. Hopefully you'll find something before you have to relocate because that is a looong commute.
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:

If you're not all that fond of your job just now you're going to absolutely hate it when you have to commute across half the country every day. And that can lead you to a very bad place (believe me :()

My advice, start looking for something else just now. Something that will keep the bills paid but also keep you happy. Hopefully you'll find something before you have to relocate because that is a looong commute.

I don't have to.... My choice. However, will they say tough - job in the East now bugger off, or fair enough here is some VR as it is an "unacceptable" commute, and to make up for your decades (eek) of loyal service.
  • Hmmm, that should be a decent payout...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10028541

If you say it's an unreasonable move, you should be able to take VR, which is probably what they're hoping a number of people will do. What to do after that is the question.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    suzyb wrote:

I don't have to.... My choice. However, will they say tough - job in the East now bugger off, or fair enough here is some VR as it is an "unacceptable" commute, and to make up for your decades (eek) of loyal service.

Stuff em - life is more important than work
  • Is this a good idea? I can't see how the posh Edinburgh people will be able to understand anyone with that Glasgow accent. :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Is this a good idea? I can't see how the posh Edinburgh people will be able to understand anyone with that Glasgow accent. :P

To be fair, if you take their knives off them and teach them personal hygiene, weegies can make excellent pets.

Edit: I'd love to claim that one, but it's Irvine Walsh.
  • suzyb
    Can't help with that. Just wanted to offer some advice in case you do end up needing to relocate.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    suzyb wrote:
    Geez, sorry I made a mistake when offering some advice. Next time I wont bother.

See. Moved over to Edinburgh in his mind and fighting with the Weegies already! :wink::wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • suzyb
    daviesee wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Geez, sorry I made a mistake when offering some advice. Next time I wont bother.

See. Moved over to Edinburgh in his mind and fighting with the Weegies already! :wink::wink:
    Damn, ninja edit was too slow :wink:

I'm not a Weegie and I'm not a posh Edinburgh sod. I'm a country yokle, living in between the two cities :(
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    Can't help with that. Just wanted to offer some advice in case you do end up needing to relocate.

Cheers Suzy, all advice gratefully received. Not in my mind to relocate, it is highly unlikely.
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Call me old fashioned but isn't this the sort of thing that Unions sort out for workers. If you're not in a union I'd suggest joining or seeking qualified legal advice.

Do the TUPE regs apply here.

Can't you drive to somewhere in between the 2 godforsaken cities and cycle from there.

Pip pip.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • iainment wrote:
    Call me old fashioned but isn't this the sort of thing that Unions sort out for workers. If you're not in a union I'd suggest joining or seeking qualified legal advice.

Can't you drive to somewhere in between the 2 godforsaken cities and cycle from there.

Pip pip.

Now, the problem with that, and I'm sure Suzy will back me up on this, is that *some* of the towns between Edinburgh and Glasgow are more than a little peculiar. *Some* would be a little less than welcoming to Wallace, depending on which part of Glasgow he's from.

Heaven help him if he got a puncture and the banjos started playing in the distance...
  • Wallace1492
    iainment wrote:

Pip pip.

Now, the problem with that, and I'm sure Suzy will back me up on this, is that *some* of the towns between Edinburgh and Glasgow are more than a little peculiar. *Some* would be a little less than welcoming to Wallace, depending on which part of Glasgow he's from.

Heaven help him if he got a puncture and the banjos started playing in the distance...

Correct. The place of choice for people doing this is called, well lets call it Droy, and it is a lottery if your vehicle is there upon your return. Even doing this would still be close to 1.5 hours each way.
  • suzyb

So true. You don't dare wear the wrong colour around some parts here.

I think the biggest obstacle is just the distance. Even just getting within cycling distance would probably take close to an hour. And then you've got the bike ride in.
  • suzyb
    iainment wrote:

Pip pip.

Correct. The place of choice for people doing this is called, well lets call it Droy, and it is a lottery if your vehicle is there upon your return. Even doing this would still be close to 1.5 hours each way.
    I have to ask...where? :wink:
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    iainment wrote:

Pip pip.

Droy, just past Birkintilloch, but not as far as Dumbernauld. :wink:
  • suzyb
    suzyb wrote:
    iainment wrote:

Pip pip.

Droy, just past Birkintilloch, but not as far as Dumbernauld. :wink:
    You'd cycle to Edinburgh from there :shock:
  • iainment wrote:

Pip pip.

I'm no expert, but I think TUPE only applies if the business is transferred from one owner to another, and it doesn't sound as if that's the case. I'd certainly have a chat with the union if you're a member.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!