Ken Ladliaw Sportive 21st August 2011

tippy27
tippy27 Posts: 2
Welcome to The Ken Laidlaw Sportive to be riden on the 21st of august 2011

This event is now open and entries are now being taken. Entries have been opened up to 500 riders after last year sell out event.

See links to main wb site
http://www.hamishdsmith.co.uk/cycling/index.html
link to Cyclo sport web site
http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails. ... ventid=383
Features of the Scottish Borders
The event is held mainly on well-surfaced back roads with very little traffic
The views around this Borders route are fantastic, and in fact the challenge takes in the Samye Ling Tibetan Monastery, the largest Buddhist centre in Europe.
We like to think that our hospitality is second to none; this is an event organised by cyclists for cyclists.

Rewards and facilities
First class facilities at Hawick Rugby Club, including showers and changing rooms - and a hot meal at the finish will be provided in the club, free to all riders
Lavishly stocked feed stations on all routes
All entrants will receive all of our excellent services, benefits and new gifts
New for this year: electronic timing
Photos of riders made available free online
Route card
Broom wagon, support vehicles, mountain rescue and mechanics
List of finishers published on this website

There will be three routes (Important! Note the changes for 2011!)
Red route (Long distance: 105 miles)
This route is the same as in previous years - but in reverse. The same beauty and challenge from a new viewpoint.
With a distance of 104.8 miles (168.6 Km) and 10 big climbs totalling 2422m, the red route is a tough challenge.
Feed stations: 35 miles and 74 miles
Details of route

Blue route (medium distance: 52 miles)
This 51.7 mile (83.3 Km) challenge follows 35 miles of the full route and then turns off for the feed station.
There are 5 big climbs totalling 1557m.
Details of route

Yellow route (short distance: 22.2 miles)
Initially taking in the first 7 miles of the red route - drinks and food are provided at Stintyknowe - the yellow route includes two challenging climbs totalling 429m (1410ft).
The distance is 22.2 miles (35.7Km).
Details of route

Comments

• holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Excellent last Year, have entered the red route.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Pity it's not the same way round as last year. Really tough course and wanted to try and beat my time. Was a great day out, weather was glorious and the roads generally very good condition. Will be back this year for more
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Pity it's not the same way round as last year. Really tough course and wanted to try and beat my time. Was a great day out, weather was glorious and the roads generally very good condition. Will be back this year for more

+1 for trying to go for a better time in the same direction as last year. Have done most of the route in reverse also though and its just as good. I'll be back for more as I rated this sportive as the best value bar none and a fantastic day out. The climb up to Langholm moor and that road over the moor on the way home is fantastic if you get the weather.
    Brian B.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Seems this forum is being hijacked for cheap advertising use. :!:
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Seems this forum is being hijacked for cheap advertising use. :!:[/quote

Bullshit.

Brian and I are only giving honest feedback from the event last year. No links to the organisers just happy participants.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Yeah but its hijacked in style though! :lol:

Seriously a good day out but as for hijacking its no different from any other sportive that gets aired here by the event organiser. The sportive section here is full of them and if you dont want to enter then just ignore!

I find the info useful if its a new event or a change in the route. Dont want to sound harsh but this forum is no different from any other.

As GlasgowBhoy said we have no ties to the event except that we did it last year and just wanted to try to get a better time the same way round. My comment about the route in reverse is that I have done it MYSELF and often can be found doing thse roads in the summer as its simply a good place to ride a bike.
    Brian B.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I welcome discussion around sportives by those particularly that take part; any feed back is welcome and useful for organizers.
    Some seemed to have got the wrong end of the stick here; I haven't a problem with the comments regards the subject of the post.
    The problem is that the post is a detailed advertisement of a commercial enterprise; it's not a discussion about the event good or bad.
    IMO classified ads as this post mimics should be found alongside other classified ads and not on an open forum, there are plenty of websites that list all the relevant sportives and give links to detailed information for those interested.
    There is nothing wrong with an organizer responding to a question posted on an open forum but the reply should be specific to that question and not open up the opportunity for someone organizing the enterprise to do the full event advert, details of which should be found elsewhere.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    considering this event sold out last year and according to local press could have 'doubled the entrants' don't see any reason why anybody should need to advertise it? I posted earlier to inform that the event was open so that those who done it in the past would be able to sign up before it sells out again (which it will)
    As for the comments about the ride, they are only speaking the truth, truly is a brilliant ride in a wonderful part of the country which appears to have been made just for cyclists. Certainly one i am looking forward to doing again, even if it is in reverse this time.
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Great event and already got my entry in for teh red. Looking forward to riding it other way round!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk