Touring-tech help- cycle from UK to Oz

oilyribbons
oilyribbons Posts: 24
edited February 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm cycling to Brisbane from London in two months, and was looking for a bit of touring-tech help.

Here's my route (yes, I know I'm flying from Tehran to Mumbai - the cheat)

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Br ... ne-23000km

Will a Dawes galaxy with a pair of schwalbe tyres be suitable for India/Bangladesh//Burma etc? Has anyone been cycling in these countries before?
If it's not I'll have to borrow my mate's hybrid, but I'd also need some good tourer, 36 spoke wheels. Any cheap recommendations?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd stick with the Galaxy or get an old (early 90's) mountain bike.

But don't buy cheap wheels. The Sun Rhyno is a popular choice with expedition tourers. I've always used Mavic EX721 on my mtb tourer and had zero problems.

And Shimano Deore XT hubs (if your bike is 135 OLN) are fairly cheap, but very, very good.
    More problems but still living....
  • Thanks,

so even though the Galaxy has quite a slender frame, it should be alright for dirt roads in the sub-continent, with the right pair of tyres?
  • Have you seen this oilyribbons ?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/i ... shes-29081

Similar route, though avoiding Iran and Pakistan.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I second the above bit about the wheels - not a good place to economize. Sun Rhyno are excellent. I've got a pair on my expedition bike and they are very sturdy. Alas, I am not sure they are available anymore. Mavic EX721 is also very good, as the above poster noted, as are Rigida touring hoops. A couple of the Rigida models, the Grizzly and Andra-something (I forget the precise name) come with ceramic coating which is supposed to make them super-tough. With these coatings though, you need specific brake blocks - Swisstop blue is the preferred one, although I believe Koolstop green will work too. Swisstop make their blue blocks only for V-brakes, although Koolstop make the green for both V's and cantis.

Something to consider.

XT hubs are great

Schwalbe marathons are a pretty good expedition tyre.

Your bike should be okay.
  • I'd go for the Marathon Extreme Double Defence tyres so you have a bit more grip in the loose stuff. I'm pretty sure the Galaxy has clearance for a 35mm tyre?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Tyre clearance on a Galaxy varies with the year. How big can you fit?
    I did a lot of loaded touring last year on the basic Schwalbe Marathon in 32m. I found it a bit narrow for rough roads but it was the widest I could fit. If you can fit wider, you should.
    Schwalbe make lots of different models, some are specially made for long-distance loaded touring on rough roads.