Damaged Rim???

jzed
jzed Posts: 2,926
edited February 2011 in The workshop
My Planet X had a service last week, and since then my headset has come lose, my gears are less than perfect and this morning I noticed the rear wheel was catching the break.

Having inspected for a broken or lose spoke I notice that the rim by a spoke nipple is damaged. It looks as though maybe overtightened and has pulled through the rim, but being no expert wonder whether this could have happened from an impact with a pothole (don't recall hitting one but its always a possibility) or whether this is a result of truing gone wrong?

5430009343_f2317d6e65_m.jpg

Comments

• I would expect the threads to strip before over tightening a nipple pulled through the rim. To stay true the other spokes would have to be similarly over torqued. Is there any bulging/cracking around spoke holes?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • jzed
    I would expect the threads to strip before over tightening a nipple pulled through the rim. To stay true the other spokes would have to be similarly over torqued. Is there any bulging/cracking around spoke holes?

Yeah the rim is cracked and bulging around one of the spoke wholes - have tried to put a picture in above.
  • Sorry, I meant the other spoke holes
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • jzed
    Sorry, I meant the other spoke holes

Didn't thoroughly check them all but think its just the one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm with wooli on this, I would expect the nipple to strip first, if it was overtightened other spokes/holes would have an issue so....
    1/ Defective rim
    2/ Pothole (but I would still expect the nipple to go first, logical to design it that way anyway as a nipple is cheaper than a rim and easier to replace hence combined with a defective rim)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Classic tell-tale of an over-tightened spoke. Shame, new rim req'd.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • jzed
    Thanks for your replies.

Have gone and looked at the wheel and there are another 6-7 cracks visible by other spoke holes.

Am I right in thinking that its likely that the spokes were overtightened and low level imapcts have resulted in the stresses on the rims and maybe a large impact has resulted in the big crack and bulge.

Would you risk riding the rim for 7.5 miles?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With that many cracks I wouldn't ride at more than 10mph!

Overtightened or dodgy rim....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jzed
    With that many cracks I wouldn't ride at more than 10mph!

Overtightened or dodgy rim....

Simon

I suspect the former. Have purchased a replacement set of wheels which arrive tomorrow and will buy a rim and have a stab at building my own wheel when I get the time.

Thanks again
  • Overtightened spokes in a sigle eyelet rim. But not your best quality rim for this to have happened.