Look For A Cheap GPS Logger

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm looking for a stand alone GPS receiver purely for logging my rides. Not worried abot cycle computer functions etc, just after a logger that will track my route/speed etc in a GPX file as the app I use on my phone drains the battery after about 3 hrs.

Can anybody suggest something half decent please?
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i use a Holux GPSport 245
    http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/products/ ... sp?pno=349

i only got it for £50, which was nice
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    i use a Holux GPSport 245
    http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/products/ ... sp?pno=349

i only got it for £50, which was nice

Does it save in .gpx format?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • mudcow007
    to be honest i dont know, ive just mine to check how fast i was going at certain points. it comes bundled with Holux's ezTour

i will try an find out for you.
  • mudcow007
    after much googling i have found a site that states..."In combination with the ezTour software you can easily and quickly edit the unit created by the routes and provided as images using timestamps with interpolated GPS coordinates.The routes can be exported into popular formats (GPX, KML, NMEA)"
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    after much googling i have found a site that states..."In combination with the ezTour software you can easily and quickly edit the unit created by the routes and provided as images using timestamps with interpolated GPS coordinates.The routes can be exported into popular formats (GPX, KML, NMEA)"

Thanks very much, appreciate that.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • The Holux GPS 245 has arrived, and first impressions are that it's really rather good.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • had my gps 245 about a year now works great and no problems, i save all my routes as gpx files then they can be uploaded to bikehike and viewed in osm cyclemaps
  • had my gps 245 about a year now works great and no problems, i save all my routes as gpx files then they can be uploaded to bikehike and viewed in osm cyclemaps

Excellent.

What logging rate are you using, I've set mine up for every 5s at the moment.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • A bit late now but I see Maplin have something that appears to do the trick for £30, which is £15 less than usual price http://www.maplin.co.uk/gps-travel-tracker-227620.

Hope it helps someone..
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    Mark Elvin wrote:

What logging rate are you using, I've set mine up for every 5s at the moment.

i have mine set to 10s
  • A bit late now but I see Maplin have something that appears to do the trick for £30, which is £15 less than usual price http://www.maplin.co.uk/gps-travel-tracker-227620.

Hope it helps someone..

No readout though.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • mudcow007
    the main reason i bought the Holux 245 was that i can use it as a bike computer, the recording route thingy was an added bonus

and i might take up geo-tagging too
  • Mark Elvin wrote:
    A bit late now but I see Maplin have something that appears to do the trick for £30, which is £15 less than usual price http://www.maplin.co.uk/gps-travel-tracker-227620.

Hope it helps someone..

No readout though.

True and I'd always prefer a readout (I've got a SatMap), but to be fair you specified something to log rides only and this would do this.
  • Mark Elvin wrote:
    A bit late now but I see Maplin have something that appears to do the trick for £30, which is £15 less than usual price http://www.maplin.co.uk/gps-travel-tracker-227620.

Hope it helps someone..

No readout though.

True and I'd always prefer a readout (I've got a SatMap), but to be fair you specified something to log rides only and this would do this.

Ah, but then I changed my mind without telling you!!!!!!

Not my fault your Jedi powers are failing is it?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • ^
    Yoda wrote:
    “Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm?.

Clearly your mind in on where you was (otherwise you wouldn't have bought a gps logger) so we don't have to worry about you joining the dark side. :?

Anyway - what have you learnt from your logged rides? I was surprised that slope played less of an influence on speed than I imagined, and road surface / condition played a bigger part.
  • got mine set to 7 second tracking, the tagging is a good feature too
  • ^
    Yoda wrote:
    “Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm?.

Clearly your mind in on where you was (otherwise you wouldn't have bought a gps logger) so we don't have to worry about you joining the dark side. :?

Anyway - what have you learnt from your logged rides? I was surprised that slope played less of an influence on speed than I imagined, and road surface / condition played a bigger part.

Fek all yet, it's sitting on my desk at work, will try later.

But from my HTC Desire logged rides, hills do have less of an effect than you think. I also noted that on my road fixie my average speed is about 3mph faster than on my 20lb mountain bike.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse