Evans Ride It

Is anyone doing any of these?

I'm signed up for the Watlington ride on the 27th.

Comments

• mattjc
    mattjc Posts: 36
    I did this one last year, quite local to me as im in Bicester and I ride some of those roads to work in the summer, thought it was quite well organised last year and was suprised at the big turnout, I think they were to by the sounds of it, always a bit hit and miss with the weather that time of the year but last year after a few icy days just before it turned out to be brilliant clear skies and sun, albeit a bit chilly 1st thing still though.

£12.50 is good value compared to alot of other sportives, although they don't go for the big food options at the food stops, will probably do it again this year though as a little tester in the Chilterns

Mat
  • I bought a new bike from them last year and it came with a voucher for free entry to one of their sportives. To cash it you just have to turn up on the day - no pre book option.

Has anyone any experience of this? Does it work smoothly or are you a second class citizen compared to the fully paid up, pre booked riders?
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    I did a few last year - on and off road. They were well organised and signposted - pitched just about right for the price. I'll do some more this year.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    no issues - these are unpretentious, well organised events, that are well worth a visit. I'd happily choose these over many overpriced sportives currently on offer...
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Is anyone doing any of these?

I'm signed up for the Watlington ride on the 27th.

Same here..

Just doing it for a change of scenery more than anything else. I would have done a similar distance this weekend anyway and a mate asked me if I fancied tagging along. Looks like the weather is going to be good.
  • sampras38
    Well that was...soggy!

So much for a change of scenery..;-)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Good value for the money imo.

I did Biggin Hill one last year and was impressed.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 wrote:
    Well that was...soggy!

So much for a change of scenery, and don't think I've seen so many punctured riders..;-)
  • There were a hell of a lot of punctures!

I started the ride with a friend but unfortunately his chain snapped just after the windy, shitty, muddy, fun bit, about 25 miles in. That was his ride over...
  • sampras38
    There were a hell of a lot of punctures!

I started the ride with a friend but unfortunately his chain snapped just after the windy, shitty, muddy, fun bit, about 25 miles in. That was his ride over...

I was riding with 2 others and between them they had 3 punctures. Waiting for them in the rain wasn't fun...;-)
  • alan14
    alan14 Posts: 149
    Is anyone here doing the long or medium Watlington ride this Sunday? First time I will have ridden this route, though done parts of it on other sportives.

Looks like a nice route, winding in and around that area of the Chilterns. I don't see any really big climbs on the route, though the climb up to Bledlow Ridge can be hard, and Kingston Wood will be tough coming near the end of the long route.

Weather forecast looks okay - dry overnight and sunny and quite cool on Sunday morning - let's hope it stays that way!
  • andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    I am riding it on Sunday. Gonna be interesting as I'm not exactly a hill climber, and I'm riding with my brother and two friends, the two friends are hill climbing monsters so I feel they may be waiting for me at the top of some of the climbs!
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I'll be up there on Sunday!
    Looks like weather should be OK. Haven't tried any of the Chiltern hills so I'll have to see how the legs bear up...
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    I'll be there too doing the long route, looking forward to it.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Done the MTB ride today - pounded by hailstones!

Doing the medium road ride tomorrow I think - long may be a bit much for me but will see how it goes.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I was signed up for the Long Sunday sportive, but after a nightmare week and start to the weekend, when i got home at 2 in the morning, the thought of an 8:30 sign on almost reduced me to tears. Barely moved all of yesterday. Shameful.
  • andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    I did the medium route. I took along time getting up the hills but I made it, the climb up Bedlow Ridge was definitely difficult for me. I'm a fatty used to more rolling hills and sprints, but I really enjoyed the ride and some of the decents were epic, especially the last one back down to Watlington. I was impressed by how well it was organised and signposted. Oxfordshires road surfaces leave alot to be desired though.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    Medium route as well.
    Really enjoyed it! Thought it was verywell organised and signposted. The fact it was £15 made it very good value for money.

Will do some more from the Evans team
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Did the medium - yes the hills were quite something - both the uphills and the downhills, especially the really long straight downhills at Pishill just before the first feed station and the last stretch after the second feed station. I suspect that anyone from up north would say that the hills were tiny though.

Only cost me £7.50 as I booked in November when there was a half price promotion on - so with the free High5 goodies it works out very good value!

Even better at the MTB ride on saturday as my son came with me (kids are free) so for £7.50 that covered both of us and 4 boxes of High5 goodies!!! Just a shame as I would have happily paid more if they could have stopped the hailstorms...!

What was up with those pasties at the finish point though - they must have been nuclear powered as they were still too hot to eat hours later? Had the Chilli on saturday which was pretty good though. Only thing they could do better really would be to have tea/coffee at the feed stations but that would probably be too much hassle.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    I did the long route, the extra loop was mainly flat and was great going out but into a stiff breeze coming back and then there was Kingston Hill......just what you want at 80 miles thought my heart was making a bid for freedom! I think the Evans events are excellent value especially if you book early and get the freebie High 5 products thrown in.

I'm doing the long route at Hatfield next
  • +1 long route.

I made the mistake of going off too fast, thinking to myself that it was ok as the last loop was all flat. I hadn't reckoned on the headwind though which left me almost a broken man by the time I got to the *bottom* of Kingston Hill....

Still it was a great day out, well organised and good value. Big thanks to the Evans team.