Torm.cc

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
I've come across a few threads about Torm, and understand some of the feelings about how it is very similar to Rapha and read a few negative comments as well. However, I thought I would add my two-penneth having just invested.

Great fit, well made, good feel to them and less than half the price of their more established cousin. They've got a minor sale on at the moment as well to clear all their stock before a very slight design tweak...

I own Rapha and love it; but will enjoy this equally from what I can tell.

Over and out!

Comments

• andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    By some coincidence I recieved my Torm delivery this morning.
    It is really nice gear & I got a long sleeve jersey & a short sleeve one for £90. They fit (me) perfectly even though I was expecting the L/S jersey to be short in the arm dept. I'm a skinny 6ft'er & medium is spot on for my frame.

Detailing & quality appear to be top notch, a wash or two may tell a different story but the lad in my club that put me onto Torm has had it a while & hasn't reported any problems.

For the money it's great...would recommend it even.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I think they might have received more respect initially had they not gone for such a blatant Rapha style - from the website to the jerseys etc. The look ended up being 'poor mans' Rapha which is probably very unfair given what you guys say about the quality.

I will take another peak, cannot justify £120 on a Rapha Pro Team jersey!! :lol:
  • london-red
    Yeah, can't speak for the longevity of the stuff yet, but it looks well made. It is slightly lighter than Rapha though (LS Rapha jersey is warmer than LS Torm jersey, although not by much).

As for styling and website, I agree and think someone made the wrong call. Had they differentiated themselves sufficiently and come in much, much cheaper I think they would be getting rave reviews rather than the slight negativity they seem to be attracting...
  • london-red
    Had they differentiated themselves sufficiently

Having said that, they do seem to be taking the p*ss out of the espresso-sipping cycling dandy image as well. Or is it just me :lol:
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    London-Red wrote:
    Had they differentiated themselves sufficiently

Having said that, they do seem to be taking the p*ss out of the espresso-sipping cycling dandy image as well. Or is it just me :lol:

I think it's just you! :wink:

I didn't get a hint of irony when they ripped off the imagery!!
  • There must be a web designer on here who could whip them up a new website for the price of anew bike wardrobe surely?

Ive not tryed any of their stuff yet, but it looks good. Classy, retro and simple......Rapha's stuff is of a similar inspiration but it can hardly be called a direct copy. If Rapha don't want people coming in undercutting their prices they know exactly what they have to do to stop it......

Price war anyone?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    First time I have come across them. Interesting comment on their website though;
    Our jerseys have changed After a period of not selling any jerseys we are now back in the jersey business. We have been in dispute with another manufacturer and we made a pragmatic decision to alter our current stock of jerseys.

Hmmn, wonder who the dispute was with? :wink:

PP
  • Rapha were/are taking/threatening legal proceedings via their parasit...I mean lawyers :wink:
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • london-red
    Rapha were/are taking/threatening legal proceedings via their parasit...I mean lawyers

Yeah, I assumed this was the case - and to be fair to Rapha I'd be a little p*ssed as well. Fact is though, that Rapha (IMHO) overcharges to such an extent that it was only a matter of time before the someone took advantage...

Bring it on... I'm all for competition
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    rapha have every right to be upset. after all, they were the first to make plain looking jersey's out of wool! :roll:
    regards,
    dbb
  • dbb wrote:
    rapha have every right to be upset. after all, they were the first to make plain looking jersey's out of wool! :roll:

Hmmm, yes in our modern era.....but go back a wee bit and alot of jersey's were a wool type.

Rapha have some good gear; I have quite a bit of it: jerseys armwarmers, stowaway, softshell etc. BUT they are overpriced and the quality especially on their jersey's can be hit and miss.

Rapha have honed the nostalgia of cycling and market it to the max, charging a premium for that, they didn't however invent it....so I too welcome competition to their giffen good empire building!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Would be nice to see Torm re-invest in cycling though as they get bigger - as Rapha do and as Shutt seem to be doing.
  • dbb
    sorry - i was being sarcastic (maybe we need a sarcastic icon)

i don't own rapha or torm or shut or any of the other sportswool jerseys.
    i do however think that Rapha have a great business model and they have built a brand loyalty to be protected.
    the culture and following remind me of Apple.

Torm will be reasonably succesful just by following Rapha - but Rapha will get all of the PR and additional brand awareness off the back of Torm activity.

IMHO Rapha can't lose and Torm will only ever be known as a cheap copy.
    regards,
    dbb
  • london-red
    Would be nice to see Torm re-invest in cycling though as they get bigger - as Rapha do and as Shutt seem to be doing.

To be honest, I don't give a monkeys. Companies invest to achieve a return and it's no different with Rapha/Condor. They get decent exposure, increased credibility and - you'd think - more sales from their sponsorship.

I'd rather have good quality gear at good prices and forego expensive marketing - the cost of that has to be passed on. Cycling in general is over priced.

And as for cheap copies - bring it on, as long as the quality is good. (Which it is.)
  • dbb
    mroli wrote:

that's just not going to happen!

how can they make enough profit to do this when they are sellins so cheap?

their business model requires them to keep costs as low as possible wherever they can.

if we want them to sponsor a team, then we have to be prepared to pay more - simple.

sorry - [rant off]
    regards,
    dbb
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    It's thread resurrection time...

I thought I'd give Torm a go, in part based on this thread, so I bought a T1 jersey. It arrived in time for a long ride yesterday. I don't own any Rapha to compare it to, but for £45 I'm really impressed. It fits nicely, is comfortable, and looks to be very good quality. The latter point to be proven of course, but the jersey is very well finished.

My two cents
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I bought a jersey from them as well - looks amazing, great attention to detail and nice fit. I'm happy TBH.
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    I've got a long sleeve Torm jersey that I'm very happy with. I also bought some of their arm warmers recently and really pleased with them and use them everyday in the chilly mornings.

I'm not one for team jerseys, or lots of colours on a jersey, I much prefer a simple 'retro' style with only two colours and Rapha have nailed the style I like, but I cannot justify spending that much on a jersey, so Torm suit me down to the ground.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    What sort of fit are Torm (vs Rapha)?

I'm not as chunky as I was, but still don't really want the full on race fit, so thinking about the Rapha Classic Jersey?
    exercise.png
  • london-red
    Pretty much the same as Rapha, although it's slightly thinner.

I'm a large in both.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    wrong thread :oops: