SCR: Things you look out for in an opponent

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm not that much of an SCR'er but do try to size up my fellow cyclists at the lights before doing battle ;)

Generally I look at the bike..whether its a racer or mountain bike..if a commuter hybrid I don't look any further.
Then the condition of the bike..if it looks too new I don't really take my opponent seriously
Next the physical fitness, body fat and muscle tone...if they look half my bodyweight and pure muscle I just give up..

Onto clothing...are they dressed for success? Sometimes the guy in a suit on a Brompton can be really fast...however the trendy looking cyclist with completely new clothes is someone I like to play with..especially if they are on a new looking single speed ;)

Then attitude..are they just enjoying bumbling along, or do they really want to get somewhere fast?

Do any of you size people up like this? Am I missing any crucial points?..

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I tend to look at their calves / thighs and then their pedalling action. The smoother their pedalling and the more static their upper body the quicker I assume them be.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    They are on a bike, therefore target (or a moped). 'Tis far far better to race and lose than never to race at all!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Depends if you're on the move or not. If you're moving, you might be able to get a sense of how fast they're going by the rate at which you're catching them (or not).

And what the learned gentlemen above said.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    A combination of kit, bike, rider and upper body movement.

If they are on a tidy bike, have a waist the size of one of my thighs, and little movement in the upper body whilst a steady cadence - I know I'm in for a hard ride.
  • Dolly carrier and/or streamers from handlebar ends. And the element of surprise.
    My legs really ache.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Legs and bike.

Was informed by a work colleague that my bike looks old from behind, perfect stealth :twisted:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    When every time you put in a proper effort you make NO ground, that SOB can hear your shifting and is toying with you cat & mouse style :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    To be honest, I don't look or assess - I just go as fast as I can.....so far, it's worked out pretty well...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    itboffin wrote:
    When every time you put in a proper effort you make NO ground, that SOB can hear your shifting and is toying with you cat & mouse style :evil:

lol! True!
  • I see them in the distance. I catch them. I destroy them.

Though I may take longer over doing the catching if they look fast, so I have plenty of power left for the destroyment.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    An air of aloofness and a look of boredom whilst casually spinning along are warning signs that you might be about to tangle with a cat 1
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    they're on a bike in front of me they will be overtaken. Well that's the theory, check the bike as I get close to see if it's worthy or not

if I see the shadow in the corner of my right eye a challenge is on.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    It depends. Say they catch me napping, not going fast. Maybe I'm having a bad day. So they go past and I usually hop on their wheel.

if they seem to have put in a massive effort to go past and if they seem slightly overweight then I just wait for the next hill and then counter attack- they usually slow up!

If they are a racing snake and are comfortably keeping a speed that I find a bit taxing then it's a bit more difficult. If they are on a fixie I might wait for a downhill. Otherwise I just sit there and see if they can keep up the pace. TBH if it gets to this point then I am usually doomed

OTOH say I catch them. i take the gtvlusso approach- I am going faster who cares what they look like
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Asprilla wrote:
    I the more static their upper body the quicker I assume them be.

This is it. If they are nodding, their shoulders are moving, or they're showing obvious effort, they are easy prey. Perhaps too easy.

I also look to see how high the saddle is relative to size of bike and rider. The higher the saddle, the quicker the rider usually is.
  • I look for race numbers, what with living on a TT route. If I see some, I try even harder :)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • All that ^^

Plus tyre pressure - soft tyres = easy win!
  • Old ladies with basket on front and dog inside it.

F****Ing yeaaaaaahhhhh bring it on.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • < I look for race numbers, what with living on a TT route. If I see some, I try even harder >

...and then stop at the pub along the road....!

I'm in the pink-bike-and-streamers corner, that's about my limit.
    Unwashed (but well-lubricated) fixed thing, jeans, DMs - FCN 7(?)
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Group set. If it's Dura Ace or similar you've either got a rich poser or a serious challenge.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Im far from fast but..... this morning I was in a hurry grabbed my wife bike with basket chucked the bits and bobs she asked for in the front including little miss itboffin's scooter dangling over the handlebars / basket and whoosh!!!!

I shot off like a rocket, must have looked a proper site :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I have yet to find anyone who is up for a bit of a challenge :cry:

I overtake the people who are riding at a slower pace, but on a three day commuting week, I usually only find a couple of other cyclists on the journey in and journey home.

The regular ones have full racks and mudguards.

However I did over take someone on what looked like a shiny Boardman carbon comp thing the other day :lol:
    2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • For me it's usually bike + kit first. Sometimes it's the subtle markers like the Castelli or Rapha gear :-) I may also size up leg muscle *if* they are wearing lycra - again this is one of the subtle hints that you can be in for a challenge.

Asides from that I think it's instinct! This evenings ride home had a couple of good examples:

1) Chap on a Seven bike, looked Ti with a carbon fork. Racing snake muscle tone. This guy looks quick :-) Now this is where I want to present a question and may even start a thread...I decided to have a play! To cut a long story short I clearly let him have a headstart from some lights (legally, he used a shared cycle path to bypass them) then proceeded to chase him down and scalp him before he RLJ'd at the end of the road :-D Is that fair?

2) A chap aboard a road bike along CS7 DRIPPING in sweat. Clearly putting in some big effort, suspect he is either a sadist or training. As it turned out he was with a friend (I hope!) on a hybrid/flat barred roadie who he was giving a decent tow too. Took quite a bit of digging and ignoring the complaints from my lungs & legs to get round them both AND hold them off.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I soo rarely see any decent riders on my commute. I'm not fast by any means - I'm on a carrera subway with mudguards and panniers - yet I still seem to overtake just about everyone I meet.

I know there are some good riders in Southampton, just not on my commute.