SaveOurForests Campaign isn't a side issue it is vital!!!

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
Original post in MTB general but please read on.

A recent article in the Telegraph has now let the cat out of the bag...

"Campaigners have released a letter from the Government suggesting that cyclists and horse riders have no future guaranteed use of public woodland when 40,000 hectares of forest are sold off to private companies and charities"

That's the tip of the iceberg - only accounting for 15% of the land, which could be handed over to private concerns, communities or charitable trusts and the like. I'm not saying it is perfect, but only the Forestry Commission (FC) has any experience in creating a balance between wildlife, timber and recreation on such a wide scale.

The cost of having the FC manage England's public forests is less than 30p a year for each person in England. All alternative models suggested within the current consultation will actually cost more (source - DEFRA's own impact assessment!).

Please check out the following sites for more info.

http://www.saveourforests.co.uk
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests#petition

Cheers, Ron

Comments

• Come on people, don't act like stunned mullets! :(

If you lend support to only one issue this year, you could do worse
    than support this one.

Sign the petition
    http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c0 ... 2415/VEsE/

Half a million people have already.

As they say, our natural forests are priceless, and once they’re gone - they’re gone forever.
  • Signed.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • signed - and written to my MP - and received a reply - although he voted for the first stage

As Cameron pushes towards his aim of the "big" society - we should all do more than just watch as the countries remaining heritage slides away as a quasi cost saving exercise together with all those council services that provide for and generate a local communities wellbeing.

What makes me laugh is that the Government have been slashing their grants to the charities that they suggest may become bidders for some of the local forests.

There was some idiot on radio four the other day (I think an MP) saying that he never used the local woods so why should he pay for them, but he was a keen supporter of his local football club - and didn't expect the government to help pay for the upkeep of the ground so why should it be any different etc etc :roll:
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Alain Quay wrote:
    Come on people, don't act like stunned mullets! :(
    Are you dissing my hairstyle?

Duly signed.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Signed
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Signed and details of site passed to friends.
  • RonB
    Thanks folks. If you want a laugh at my expense check out the grief I got (at the start anyway) posting this on MTB General. It appears this topic has turned up before...should have used search...duh!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12756845
  • I will be truly gutted if the land is sold away.

Signed!
    Life's too short to be boring.

09 Kona Dawgma
    08 Orange 224
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Signed and donated. I don't usually do this sort of thing. :oops:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The cuts are genuinely bringing out the worst of all parties.
    The Tories are gleefully canning everything they've always wanted to under the guise of having no choice and now labour councils are purposefully dropping the most high profile services to fuel political unrest. As for the libs, they just sold their soul for voting reform.
    F*** me, the next few years are going to be even more unpleasant than they have to be and most people accept they would be tough.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Signed - lets hope more of us do as well.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited February 2011
    "Campaigners have released a letter from the Government suggesting that cyclists and horse riders have no future guaranteed use of public woodland when 40,000 hectares of forest are sold off to private companies and charities"

Sounds more like the kind of theoretical excuse needed to charge riders for access, than one to keep them out altogether.
    There was some idiot on radio four the other day (I think an MP) saying that he never used the local woods so why should he pay for them,
    Oh well in that case might as well fell it all and concrete it over, damned thing spoiling the view. Maybe build a load of starter homes for his younger constituents who can't afford to live in the area they were born in and turn it all into a Japanese-style endless suburb.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    There was some idiot on radio four the other day (I think an MP) saying that he never used the local woods so why should he pay for them,

Probably from the south east and rides a Cervelo - the bmw of the cycling world

FWIW- cyclists have to pay for a permit at my local woods, think the local authority owns it.
  • Homer J wrote:

Probably from the south east and rides a Cervelo - the bmw of the cycling world

I own two Cervelo's, I think he also sounds like an idiot. Signed the petition too.

Nerrr :D :P
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • RonB
    I wasn't sure whether to bump this thread or start another one but here goes...

Thanks vmuch for all the fantastic support, which has made such a difference to the campaign. I am told that as well as the 1/2 mill plus signatures on the 38 degrees site MPs have between them received nearly 50000 letters from the public expressing their concerns over the consultation. The areas you would expect ... Dean New Forest, NYMoors, Cannock, Sherwood, Lakes but also folks representing urban constituencies, Scotland and Wales.

Maybe this is "Big Society" and this time the Government has had to listen rather than preach about it. Time will tell.
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Signed and wrote to my local MP already.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Congrats - victory for people power - government admits mistake