iTrip/FM transmitters

Fenred
Fenred Posts: 428
edited February 2011 in The hub
Has anyone had any experience of iTrips or FM transmitters at all??

Will purely be using it in the car hooked up to my iPhone or iPod. There isn't an awful lot of resource on the supermationinfohighway, so any advice greatly received... :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Used to use one in NZ worked great where FM band was not totally congested.
    Less success here as band so congested you have to change frequencies regularly.

When they work they are great.

Mine was the original tuneable from the ipod which is a bit of PITA.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Bizarrely enough, I was thinking exactly the same thing today and started researching on internet. Had been thinking about the Belkin Tunebase FM Handsfree - seems to get mostly good write-ups, but a few seem to die spontaneoulsy. Can't offer any advice at present, but will watch your thread with interest!
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • Use one in my car all the time. I use between 105 and 106 as the transmit frequency, (can't remember off the top of my head) this is the one I've had least interference with from other stations, in fact I never have to change it and I drive all over the UK.

I use an iTrip one that also charges my iPod.

They are technically illegal (as you need a FM license to transmit) but in reality that would be unenforcable, so don't listen to any scaremongers.
  • I've tried the genuine item that plugs into the rear of the iPod, not via audio cable
    TBH the frequencies are just too congested for these things to stay in tune when using it on the move with a car radio.
    The better option is one of those audio jack to tape adapter efforts, they do the same thing at 22.05KHz playback without the fuss of retuning
  • Fenred
    Cheers for the input giuys.

If they are "technically" illegal I guess that explains lack of info available :?

I'm looking at either the Belkin or the Griffin units, they arent mega-bucks so if it doesnt work too well I'll not be getting my backside smacked over funds!

...Will give one a go and report back!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The better option is one of those audio jack to tape adapter efforts, they do the same thing at 22.05KHz playback without the fuss of retuning
    Those tape adapters are ace. I used to use one years ago to get sound from my computer through my stereo.
    Why do you think they're bandwidth limited to 22.05KHz though?

I used to have a cheapo FM tuner thing that I bought for £3 from a garage, and it did a decent job whilst it lasted. Unfortunately, after about 6months it started to fall apart, and any movement at all caused the battery to temporarily lose connection, meaning it had to be retuned, as the default frequency on it was 98MHz - right bang in the middle of the Radio1 spectrum :lol:
    It stil cut through (sort of), but the radio would keep picking up R1 as well!

Now, I've got a bluetooth head unit in the car, which is a sweet solution.
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    They are not illegal any more - I'm sure the law changed about these last year you can buy them in HMV etc.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    Had the Belkin one, ran from the cigeratte lighter with no problems except the congestion on the FM band. Would often be driving in the middle of nowhere when I would pick up either a small local radio station or pirate station. Pain the back side to have to tune it out whilst driving. A lot of the newer stereos have aux in ports or usb which work fine, of see them in Aldi/Lidl.
  • ali$tair
    ali$tair Posts: 373
    myopic wrote:
    They are not illegal any more - I'm sure the law changed about these last year you can buy them in HMV etc.

Correct, used to be illegal but not anymore.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got one, it works fine. I think I've always used the same frequency too (91.0) without any problems.

The tape one was better and there was less fussing with frequencies and they don't automatically turn themselves off after 30 seconds of 'silence'/quiet intro. but obviously you need a car with a cassette player to use that.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bails87 wrote:
    but obviously you need a car with a cassette player to use that.
    Good point.
    I know someone who bought a brand new Audi two years ago. Because he didn't specifically specify a CD player, he didn't get one, he got a cassette player!
    So, he'd be fine.

(well, with one obvious omission - the fact that he's now an Audi TT owner)
  • Fenred
    So...For anyone thats interested I went for the Belkin Tunecast Auto Universal. Wasnt expecting an awfull lot for my 40 notes but tbh I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

It has a clearscan feature that picks up best signal in about 10 seconds and a volume booster/hiss cancel feature. Charger port sits on top of the fag lighter adapter.

Sound quality sits a noticible 3rd place under radio and CD but for what it is and what it cost Im chuffed :lol:

Havent had the signal drop out at all yet but I've got a 120 mile road trip to do on the wkend so lets see how it fairs.... Recommended if you're in the market for one.