Richmond Park Kull & Closure Times

5milestogo
5milestogo Posts: 224
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
First day back today after travels and see theres a kull on at RP - can anyone tell me what time pedestrian gates are shutting in the evening?
Also - for those that have been affected - what's your best route to Kingston from LRR - Richmond or Roehampton / Kingston Hill?
Thanks
Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
GT Edge Ti
Ribble Audax

Comments

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Also - does anyone know how to volunteer to join in with said cull?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I think they close at about 8.00 and reopen at 7.30. The only time it has affected me I went though Sheen and the Upper Ham Road.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ....or even know of anywhere to buy the meat
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I think you would need to be a registered firearm owner (like me!)....From what I hear it is tasked through vetinary practices and local Shooting clubs - i.e. elite shooters supervised by vets/rangers...but I cannot confirm that.

I know that some of the guys from my club have helped with kulls on Dartmoor and Exmoor (those with appropriate rifles - 7.62, 30.06 and 458 Magnum in one case - see "Howitzer"!), the meat is butchered locally after the kull - may be worth trying the local butchers.

I am not an animal killer - I only shoot clays and targets....badly.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's cull.

Sorry, I'm a pedant.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Asprilla wrote:
    It's cull.

Sorry, I'm a pedant.

My god you are right - I should have checked rather than assumed.....

:-(
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    5milestogo wrote:
    ....or even know of anywhere to buy the meat

I heard there's a place in East Sheen as well as very good butcher on Kingston Road where I got my Christmas goose from.

The Queen probably eats the leftovers :)
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    On those rare occasions it affects me, I go through Ham -> Petersham -> Star & Garter Hill -> down the Queen's Road to the URR.

And in reverse on the way home.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Looked like they were tempting the deer into one place with food tonight....
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    Tempted them with food? What would tempt a deer surrounded by grass? I'd never thought about that before. Chocolate covered grass anyone?
    Bevan's on Richmond Road Kingston is a good butcher, they should do a spot of Royal Venison. There was something on the telly saying most of the venison gets exported as the English get a bit squeamish at the thought of Bambi on a plate. I'd love to try it but unfortunately the EPO is a veggie.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    It's just food FFS - yummy food at that, mmmmmm venison sausages.

Given that the park has 600+ ish deer in that tiny allotment, I wonder how many my local forests has?

My uncontrollable desire for stats MUST be satisfied :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I still think the best way to control the population is by introducing wolves to richmond park. If that doesnt work then its bears.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I still think the best way to control the population is by introducing wolves to richmond park. If that doesnt work then its bears.

That's just a cunning way of upping the RP lap times :)
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava