Purbecks / Poole / Bournemouth MTB groups?

tavyabe
tavyabe Posts: 283
edited February 2011 in MTB rides
Hi, I went riding in the Purbecks this weekend and I saw a group of 30 ish MTBers and decided I would like to get involved in some group/organised rides. Google is not helping me find any groups but I know they exist as I have now seen them!

I am hoping someone on here is a member of a group in the Poole/Bournemouth area and can send me some info on how to get involved.

Thanks

:)

Comments

• I think it might have been Dorset Rough Riders

They seem to organise rides into Purbeck according to the the website. Not been out with them personally though.
  • chojin
    chojin Posts: 67
    That'll be them.
    2010 Cube AMS Pro 125 RX
    2010 On One 456ss, RS Reba, SLX, Juicy 3s
    2008 Giant XTC 3.5 (Sold)

2010 Cube Attention (RIP, stolen in September)
  • tavyabe
    tavyabe Posts: 283
    Yep! :) Thanks very much, I'm going along next week :)
  • I'm going to be staying in Swanage for 10 days in June and going to take the bike along.....any routes anyone can suggest for me, by any chance? I'd thought of Swanage across the hills to Corfe Castle, then maybe down towards Winspit, along coast back towards town.....haven't a clue how far it'd be, or even if it's OK to ride (footpath, etc rather than bridleways)......

Any ideas guys?

:D
  • MM, your route is footpath, and it can get quite busy with walkers. There is some great riding in the Purbecks, the stuff I know is in a rough triangle between Corfe, Swanage and the ferry at Studland, lots of nice tracks.

Tavybee, I know RideCycleWorks (bike shop in Poole/Parkstone area) used to do evening rides, don't know if they still do.
  • Thanks matey,
    I'll stick to the other side of the hills then, once I reach Corfe Castle, rather than head southward. Are the paths/bridleways well signposted between Corfe/Studland/Swanage? I'll have an OS map, but sometimes like the idea of just 'going', you know?

Mark
  • Buckaroo
    Buckaroo Posts: 134
    You can ride from Corfe over the Nine Barrow Downs to Old Harry, great views when its clear.

The old dog - http://flic.kr/p/8xA5hk
    The puppy - http://flic.kr/p/8BKvoR