2012 Olympic Route Announced

2»

Comments

• Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    Date announce for mens road race - July 28th....straight after the tdf :?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    Will.C wrote:

Sounds perfect.
  • Will.C wrote:

Sounds perfect.
    +1

Don't want them too fresh for our little hills.
  • Yeah after Leatherhead it's clear - it was through the leatherhead town center I was wondering. It does seem strange - why not just take it on the A24 all the way around if they're closing the A24 anyway south of Leatherhead?

It think it must be to avoid closing the junction with the M25.
  • jibberjim wrote:
    So now pretty sure this is the route

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=205875

So yes Staple Lane is now the biggest hill, with that steep little part. Still not enough to make any odds.

The wide-angled lens of Streetview distorts the scene a bit but there's rather a tight and steep little corner immediately after the top of Staple Lane (before a fast easy descent towards Shere).

OlympicsRR_CombeLane1.jpg
    OlympicsRR_CombeLane2.jpg
    OlympicsRR_CombeLane3.jpg

I can imagine someone having an off there in the womens race, where there's quite a range of levels, especially if its a miserably wet day like today.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Couple of things.

1. Are they going to remove the speed bumps on Zigzag/Boxhill Rd?

2. Anyone else disappointed that they're not going up Ranmore Common Rd after/before Box Hill?

3. Anyone else disappointed that they're not going up Pebblehill road for the first approach to Box Hill?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    The wide-angled lens of Streetview distorts the scene a bit but there's rather a tight and steep little corner immediately after the top of Staple Lane (before a fast easy descent towards Shere).

There's a nice patch of gravel around a sharpish bend towards the bottom often too which isn't much fun.

I don't think the corner is going to be too bad, there's only 67 women in the race, and the lower standard women should be well at the back here but yes it's certainly possible they'll be some crashes.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • curium wrote:
    Couple of things.

Yes.
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    curium wrote:
    Couple of things.

Yes.

Confirmed? Resurface too? That whole loop is a bugger, good fun but once you get past Cycles Dauphin up the road from the viewpoint and start the very gradual descent the surface is so uneven if you're in the drops your back wheel gets thrown all over the place and past the first switchback on the zig zag there is one smooth line to the top the rest is bumpy as sh**
  • I doubt they can afford to resurface the lot. There's only mention that the speed humps were going...

The eastern end of Boxhill Road is certainly bumpy in places, like invisible pavé...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,704
    It might be a better route, but I am thoroughly disappointed - I thought it was going to involve Highgate West Hill which would have been much more convenient. Does anyone know if I imagined this, or if the route has been changed from the bid?
  • About 2006 it was a possibility and I believe that it, or some of it, was tested for an event (ToB stage?) and there were traffic/crowd control issues.

I suspect the powerful residents of Hampstead & Highgate would rather not have their roads fenced off for cycle races for two days, but more importantly the current route has a fair bit of countryside in it rather than being a monstrously repetitive 250km criterium. And it gets Hampton Court, the Thames and other pretty bits of SW London in view for benefit of the tourist industry.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm looking forward to them re-tarmacing the Surrey Hills - if only they could have got them to have gone up Tanhurst Lane, there's whole families in cars that have disappeared into the potholes up there!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    curium wrote:

2. Anyone else disappointed that they're not going up Ranmore Common Rd after/before Box Hill?

3. Anyone else disappointed that they're not going up Pebblehill road for the first approach to Box Hill?
    YES, but they need some finishers to make Pall Mall look pretty for all the journo's and VIP's.

What would be left after 10 times up Pebble Coombe and then down Box Hill, :evil: :twisted: the mind boggles

Just the once up (as you say) to get on the circuit would be nice though.. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    IMHO they should have put the route up HAMstead & HIGHgate. That'd sought 'em out>
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    The question is really - who will lead out for Cavendish

That will be other High Road riders from other 'national teams'...
    Half man, Half bike
  • According to the press release...
    There will be a road race test event following the same route in mid August this year. Further details will be released as soon as possible.
    Tour of Britian stage? Presumably not the entire 9 laps of Box Hill.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Full Olympic schedule just released, 5mb download here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/15_02_11_olympic_full_schedule.pdf
    TT's on Wednesday 1st August.
    Road Race on Saturday 28th Men (as Will.C said) and Sunday 29th July Women.

You would imagine, road race lovers aside, they will all be absolutely packed what with being free to watch. The perfect opportunity for anyone to watch the Olympics live that were unable to get tickets for, or go to any other events.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    Why should they resurface it?

It's the London Olympics, not the contiental olympics.

The heavy, potted road, is part of the (greater) London cycling experience.