Which donor bike to make a utility long tail ??

JEASTWOO
JEASTWOO Posts: 24
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
Plan is to modify an existing bike to make up a utility long tail similar to the 'Big Dummy. I have MIG welding equipment so I need a donor bike with a steel frame, I'd also like hydraulic brakes and no suspension. Idealy I'd like some thing I can buy 2nd hand inexpensively like a Carrera Subway but with a steel frame.

Any ideas what I should look for? Spec is therefore;
* Steel frame
* No sus.
* Hydraulic brakes
* Inexpensive

Thanks James

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless you want to spend out for a new good frame (on-one inbred would jump out at me on that) then ebay is your friend, either find a disc braked steel frame/bike (I recently found a GT chucker for £46) used, or get a traditional steel framed bike to start with (My pub bike is a Townsend that cost me £5.50!) and put a disc mounting on it while cutting and shutting!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I'd also go the TIG route rather than MIG, as the thickness of steel lends itself better to TIG.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    When you say 'Hydraulic Brakes', do you mean disc brakes?

If not, then your options are not really that limited. I've got an old Muddy Fox Courier and I am tempted to go for the longbike route. Along with a set of Magura hydraulic rim brakes. The XtraCycle gets around the compatibility problem of the bikes current rear U-brake set-up.

If you go longbike, then the new rear end will come with mounts for whichever brakes you need. So, if you really want discs, then a new set of rigid forks is all that's needed if the donor bike is not disc compatible.