Earphones for use with cycle helmets

Mr. Bifidus
Mr. Bifidus Posts: 21
edited February 2011 in MTB general
I know, I know...I get the feeling that cyclists who listen to music while riding are frowned upon, but I'd really like to listen to music during my commute to work (not on the road, I might add) and while up on the South Downs.

I've only just bought my first decent mountain bike (a Spesh Rockhopper 2011), and I'll probably match it with a Spesh helmet.

Does anyone have any advice regarding which earphones I should buy? Obviously, they'll need to be secure so they won't be falling out mid-ride, but they should also be comfortable to wear under a helmet.

Might be asking for too much, I fear...any ideas?

Mr. B
Spesh Rockhopper 2011

Comments

• Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    I find Sennheiser Sports -behind the neck- headphones do the trick. Great quality,comfy with a helmet on and will not fall out.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I used to use Sennheiser CX300s, now got some RadioPaq Dots, which have impressed me considering their price. Probably not the best sound quality, but with wind noise and what not who cares, and they stay put. I find the behind the neck ones a bit irritating myself. YMMV.
  • Ginjafro wrote:
    I find Sennheiser Sports -behind the neck- headphones do the trick. Great quality,comfy with a helmet on and will not fall out.

Something like these? Yeh, they look pretty good. I'll look at some reviews. Thanks!

Any other suggestions?
    Spesh Rockhopper 2011
  • njee20 wrote:
    I used to use Sennheiser CX300s, now got some RadioPaq Dots, which have impressed me considering their price. Probably not the best sound quality, but with wind noise and what not who cares, and they stay put. I find the behind the neck ones a bit irritating myself. YMMV.

Hmmm, the RadioPaq Dots look good, too - especially the claim that they "...will stay in your ears even when running".

Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think I'd prefer something with a volume control on the cable.
    Spesh Rockhopper 2011
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ginjafro wrote:
    Very much agree with this.
    I have some very similar Sony ones, and they're great for runnign or riding.
    They sound ok, and are very unobtrusive.
    410QAFZ9F7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • I use the Sennheiser CX300s as well and to be honest they work so well that I've never felt the need for a sports specific pair, I use them for running and on my off-road biking. They're usually an absolute bargain as well.
    Cove Stiffee
    Speccy Stumpjumper FSR Elite (2004)
    Kinesis Racelight T
    HED R1C (http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12755249)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I use some sort of cheap JVC noise-insulating in-ears, the interference fit means they don't come loose.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Tinman_66 wrote:
    I use the Sennheiser CX300s as well and to be honest they work so well that I've never felt the need for a sports specific pair, I use them for running and on my off-road biking. They're usually an absolute bargain as well.

This. I've got the Eco version. Beware of fake earphones though. Amazon Marketplace and Ebay have been flooded with them.
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    chedabob wrote:
    Tinman_66 wrote:
    I use the Sennheiser CX300s as well and to be honest they work so well that I've never felt the need for a sports specific pair, I use them for running and on my off-road biking. They're usually an absolute bargain as well.

This. I've got the Eco version. Beware of fake earphones though. Amazon Marketplace and Ebay have been flooded with them.

+Potato. I bought a pair of fakes off ebay by accident, fully packaged etc. Completely useless quality was terrible. Play have the CX300s for about £15. I now use Skull Candy Inkds though.
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    I have the Bose in ear phones. 1they are not noise reducing either, so you will still be able to hear really loud noises, like angry motorist or emergency vehicles.