Wet phone recovery probs - advice reqd.

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Cheapish Nokia - got it soaked on Saturday.

Have done this before - so took it apart, stuck it on the radiator for few hours and airing cupboard for two nights.

All the condensation etc had disappeared from behind the screen, so I tried switching it on - start-up tone, all seemed right, but no display. Incoming messages alerts, all keypad sounds fine, etc etc - but the screen is totally blank.

Any ideas? Does it need drying out some more? Or can I assume it is totally knackered?

Ta.

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i have successfully taken a few phones to bits to dry em out, you need "torx" screwdrivers

or you could always take it to a nokia repair centre (carphone warehouse). it sounds like it will need a new screen though.
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    You can try bunging it in a load of dry rice for a day or so.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, I was going to say rice.

If it still doesn't work then take it to an independent phone shop, not Carphone Warehouse or the like, they'll probably rip you off for a repair.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Remove the battery and let it dry out for a couple of days.

Screens are fairly easy to replace.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Remove the battery and let it dry out for a couple of days.

Screens are fairly easy to replace.

are they now really? Well that woudl make me feel better: I've got a dodgy looking hole-in-wall 'mobile unlocking' etc place near me. might just take it down there if it's not working tonight?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You can get screens off that auction site. I replaced a touch screen on my wife's phone - bit fiddly, but got it sorted.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    About six years ago I managed to bork a (then) top of the range RAZr (remember them?) by rolling down a hill with my daughter with the 'phone in my pocket and cracking the screen.

So I replaced it (at vast cost) with a Titanium cased Nokia slide 'phone.

A week later I became a little inebriated and managed to fall into my own pond, again with my mobile in my pocket.

Who knew Titanium isn't waterproof? :oops:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • it's nestling in a bag of basmati as we speak - only the best for my phone ....
  • it's nestling in a bag of basmati as we speak - only the best for my phone ....

jasmine is better....