Help a 5ft noob find a bike !

2»

Comments

• Deb13b wrote:
    I tried a pps today for size. 26" wheels and a 17.5" frame. It was an absolute perfect fit. Just wish I could afford it !

Hey Debs - did you see my message about the affordable Halfords Real Classic? If the PPS you tried is a perfect fit I am convinced the cheaper option is within your grasp..

This is me assuming you are in the UK and can get to a Halfords...

Michelle
  • Deb13b
    Deb13b Posts: 17
    MichelleD wrote:
    Deb13b wrote:
    I tried a pps today for size. 26" wheels and a 17.5" frame. It was an absolute perfect fit. Just wish I could afford it !

Hey Debs - did you see my message about the affordable Halfords Real Classic? If the PPS you tried is a perfect fit I am convinced the cheaper option is within your grasp..

Michelle

Yes I saw that one,, but the website says it's for 5ft 3" and over. Someone asked if it would fit 5ft 1" on the halfords site and they said no. I'm not even 5ft 1". It's a nice looking bike too, adding lights and a basket would be cheap enough, it would be affordable. Loads of good reviews too. The local store doesn't have one on display to try either.
  • Deb13b wrote:
    MichelleD wrote:
    Deb13b wrote:

Michelle

Yes I saw that one,, but the website says it's for 5ft 3" and over. Someone asked if it would fit 5ft 1" on the halfords site and they said no. I'm not even 5ft 1". It's a nice looking bike too, adding lights and a basket would be cheap enough, it would be affordable. Loads of good reviews too. The local store doesn't have one on display to try either.
    It can often depend on your leg length rather than your total height, I would ignore the advice on a website like that just based on height. If you can get the right seat height relative to the pedals, the handlebars are in a reasonable position for you and and the cross bar is low enough then that is fine. I think it would be worth going in to Halfords to try one in the right size, with the help of someone who knows about bikes if at all possible. Mind you if you can find a good second hand Pashley in the right size that would be a better buy IMO
  • jejv wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:
    Small wheels make a small frame much easier to design well. If you can find one with 26" MTB type wheels that would be good (using road tyres).
    Well, I disagree. I think big wheels on a small frame force a - relatively -long wheelbase relative to the riders height, which is better for comfort, static stability, and high speed stability

I'm 6'2" - I'd like a 1.4m wheelbase. So when I'm going up steep hills I can keep the front wheel on the ground, and when I'm going down steep hills, and I need to brake, I can keep the back wheel on the ground.

I think the main disadvantage of big wheels if you are short is that it can be hard to get the handlebars low enough, with modern fork designs.
    You missed out toe overlap: very common on 700C bikes with small frames, especially once you put mudguards on them.